Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Planted K-31 fescue

Against most peoples advice, I have just spent the last few days tilling and seeding Kentucky 31 fescue. I have tried several times to grow a decent TTTF such as Lescos Transition Blend. It does great until June then starts falling apart and most dont recover. After this year I have crabgrass and dirt(if you could call it that).I have two boys and we are fairly hard on our lawn. Im not looking for a picture quality lawn. I just want something green that i dont have to fuss with.

Anyone actually like there K-31 lawn. I think of all the reading i have done, I seen two people that like there K31 lawn. Most hate the wide blades and medium green color. I actually like the thick heavy duty type grass.

I think if i can keep the clumping down, i will actually like it. Even if its not perfect, it will be better than the dirt and crab grass i have now.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"Heavy duty type grass" - I guess a grass that was selected because of it's ability to withstand a cow count's as heavy duty. Can you tell i'm not a K-31 fan ? When you want to try something else, i will help you out. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
"Heavy duty type grass" - I guess a grass that was selected because of it's ability to withstand a cow count's as heavy duty. Can you tell i'm not a K-31 fan ? When you want to try something else, i will help you out. Good luck.
Thanks for the response. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to make TTTF grow. It does okay in area that get some shade thru out the day but in direct sun, heavy traffic areas and on my hillside, it dies off. I have been planting Lescos Transition Blend and to me it is just too fine and soft. We destroy it pretty quickly with the little ATV's. I have seen some TTTF grasses that look pretty durable while having a great look but I dont know what they are. My good buddy runs a lawn care business on the side and uses the Lesco i think exclusively and has happy customers. Maybe we have different needs or maybe i just have terrible ground for growing grass but i have not had much luck with it.

Forgot to ask, why dont you like it? Color, texture, disease tolerance. I just ask because from all the reading it is the most drought resistant and most tolerant to traffic. If you like the dark green carpet look I can understand why you would not like it but just wondering if there's a reason you don't other than visual appeal. Im also from around Winston Salem so im interested in what you would have recommend.

Last edited by jstutzman; 08-28-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, i still have to do part of the front yard that has lesco in it now. 50% of it is thinned out to nothing. I love the look of the TTTF blends during fall and spring but the summer kills it. Is there a more drought resistant TTTF available besides the lesco transition blend that i could use in the front? I wont be planting it for another two weeks.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you say "die off" is it actually dieing or is it just going dormant?

With our drought this year, most un-watered lawns went dormant. The turf that survived the best seems like the TTF varieties. Some even held a light green color through the roughest stretches of weather.

That and being NC, you might want to think of something hardier in the warm season grass varieties and Buffalo Grass usually does the trick.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with st Augustine....can take full sun and some shade.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
When you say "die off" is it actually dieing or is it just going dormant?

With our drought this year, most un-watered lawns went dormant. The turf that survived the best seems like the TTF varieties. Some even held a light green color through the roughest stretches of weather.

That and being NC, you might want to think of something hardier in the warm season grass varieties and Buffalo Grass usually does the trick.

I am meaning dead as dead can be. There are places, where plugged, that grass has come back but between all the plugs is just crispy dead straw. I will look into the buffalo grass. I did not realize that it was a hot season grass.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutzman View Post
Thanks for the response. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to make TTTF grow. It does okay in area that get some shade thru out the day but in direct sun, heavy traffic areas and on my hillside, it dies off. I have been planting Lescos Transition Blend and to me it is just too fine and soft. We destroy it pretty quickly with the little ATV's. I have seen some TTTF grasses that look pretty durable while having a great look but I dont know what they are. My good buddy runs a lawn care business on the side and uses the Lesco i think exclusively and has happy customers. Maybe we have different needs or maybe i just have terrible ground for growing grass but i have not had much luck with it.

Forgot to ask, why dont you like it? Color, texture, disease tolerance. I just ask because from all the reading it is the most drought resistant and most tolerant to traffic. If you like the dark green carpet look I can understand why you would not like it but just wondering if there's a reason you don't other than visual appeal. Im also from around Winston Salem so im interested in what you would have recommend.
I don't like K-31's color at all, or it's wide leaf, sparse growth, disease susceptibility and a crown that grow's 3/4 of an inch off the ground. I do like that dark green carpet look of TTTF.

If you have kid's and ATV's then there is no fescue that can take that abuse. You probably need a warm season grass like bermuda, and since we are a little north of prime bermuda country you need to sod. You can get the same grass (Tifway 419) as sod that grow's in every golf course fairway in this area for 60-75$ for 512 sq. ft. If you don't have irrigation (and i will bet you don't) then a hose is in your future, but you will have much better luck with bermuda.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
I don't like K-31's color at all, or it's wide leaf, sparse growth, disease susceptibility and a crown that grow's 3/4 of an inch off the ground. I do like that dark green carpet look of TTTF.

If you have kid's and ATV's then there is no fescue that can take that abuse. You probably need a warm season grass like bermuda, and since we are a little north of prime bermuda country you need to sod. You can get the same grass (Tifway 419) as sod that grow's in every golf course fairway in this area for 60-75$ for 512 sq. ft. If you don't have irrigation (and i will bet you don't) then a hose is in your future, but you will have much better luck with bermuda.
Thanks, couple of questions for you. I was under the impression that TTTF grasses were more suseptable to disease. Also, what is the crown? I tried to google this and dont understand what this is.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutzman View Post
Thanks, couple of questions for you. I was under the impression that TTTF grasses were more suseptable to disease. Also, what is the crown? I tried to google this and dont understand what this is.
Look at this site. This is the last word as far as seed go's. Look at the fescue trial's for this area. (Raleigh) Drill down to the last page, there's K-31, in last place in every category.

http://www.ntep.org/

Look at this drawing. If the plant is the center of a clock, then the crown is indicated at about 4:00. Google "grass plant drawing"

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=266