Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnPatrolNY LawnPatrolNY is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 12
questions about trailer gate

hey everyone need help/have questions about trailers and gates

being so new i just purchased a 5x8 tilt trailer with no back gate. after useing the trailer and the tilt option , it works but the mower is a little hard to load and i think i would rather just put a gate on it, to make life easier for me. (ive already sprayed the trailer deck w truck bedliner, and it helped a little w the slide but not 100%)

is there any place that i can buy a new gate from and attach it or... i have a friend that said he could build me one for $200 all said n done. is that a fair price or sound high, think he said $100 for parts $100 for labor

any other options that i might have?

ive thought about possibly making ramps that stay underneath the trailer kinda like a uhaul car transport trailer. think this would work as well?

any ideas or thoughts please
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,613
IMO, If you have someone that will build and install a gate for 200 bux I'd be all over it.

You really don't want to fool with ramps all day, Two pins and drop the gate.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,008
$200 is cheap...steel..welding rods..cutoff wheels...the stuff ain't cheep...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM
C Jovingo Landscaping C Jovingo Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
Or you can get a 2'X4' piece of aluminum diamond plate @ Home Depot for I think abt $50. Cut it into 4 pieces @ 6"X4'. Secure to trailer floor so your mower can get up tilt trailer without slipping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,008
Doesn't all the stuff in the trailer slide out when it is tilted?
Seems like a huge PITA to me....Save your back...get the ramp..
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 PM
BigFish's Avatar
BigFish BigFish is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 1,611
I wish my trailer would tilt! I'd put a limiting chain or strap up front to let the trailer tilt just enough to kinda smooth out the transition angle from gate to bed. It seems to wanna snag cutter decks just as you transition. PITA!
I really need to look into a pair of Gorilla lifts or something like it. That gate is a heavy sucker.
__________________
" But let me tell you something ,folks: You can't fix stupid! There's not a pill you can take, there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever!"

......AMF!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM
ztman ztman is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: mountain pa
Posts: 752
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnPatrolNY View Post
hey everyone need help/have questions about trailers and gates

being so new i just purchased a 5x8 tilt trailer with no back gate. after useing the trailer and the tilt option , it works but the mower is a little hard to load and i think i would rather just put a gate on it, to make life easier for me. (ive already sprayed the trailer deck w truck bedliner, and it helped a little w the slide but not 100%)

is there any place that i can buy a new gate from and attach it or... i have a friend that said he could build me one for $200 all said n done. is that a fair price or sound high, think he said $100 for parts $100 for labor

any other options that i might have?

ive thought about possibly making ramps that stay underneath the trailer kinda like a uhaul car transport trailer. think this would work as well?

any ideas or thoughts please
You say you just purchased the trailer, I bet you could sell it, and purchase another one with a gate for around a two hundered dollar price difference
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 PM
C Jovingo Landscaping C Jovingo Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I wish my trailer would tilt! I'd put a limiting chain or strap up front to let the trailer tilt just enough to kinda smooth out the transition angle from gate to bed. It seems to wanna snag cutter decks just as you transition. PITA!
I really need to look into a pair of Gorilla lifts or something like it. That gate is a heavy sucker.
Is your trailer level? If so, replace hitch so trailer is slightly high in the front & it will drop the tail a bit. Should eliminate the deck snagging at transition. I have an adjustable hitch that i can move the ball hight up or down in 1" increments.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM
DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: dennis ma.
Posts: 1,344
Two hundred is cheap money for a fabricated gate.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I really need to look into a pair of Gorilla lifts or something like it. That gate is a heavy sucker.

By boss bought a single gate trailer for his personal use, First time he used it he came to me and said, Rob..... Ya gotta do something about that gate..... I busted out the welder and split it like this example;




He's happier than a couple Daisy-Maes at one of SLAPPER'S BBQ's now !!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gate , ramps , trailer , trailer gate

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.07519 seconds with 9 queries