Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you did use the galvanized steel grate and cut it then you have broken the cathodic barrier.

Secondly, depending on the pH of the water, the galvaized material may not passivate correctly and form white rust. This is in addition to the corrosion concerns where the grate was cut. You could go back and apply a cold zinc coating but it is not as good as the hot dipped galvanized coating.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
That is why I asked if metal was used and you said I insinuated metal and water were not compatible. It was much later you told me you did not use metal. Since you never have me specifics how can I address.

I do consider that people drink out of metal pipes. Hence the reason there is various types of corrosion contol in those systems depending on the water quality.
Well I assume people read the thread.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Yea, I had forgotten that Atlantic had come out with that 'Monsta'. Hefty price tag, too.
The grate is also available in heavy PVC, which would be my choice. Galvanized steel will corrode quite quickly if the water pH is not monitored.
If you and Turner both hate metal... that is enough evidence for me. I guess with ABS you have to support it? It is more flexible than a steel grate right?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If you did use the galvanized steel grate and cut it then you have broken the cathodic barrier.

Secondly, depending on the pH of the water, the galvaized material may not passivate correctly and form white rust. This is in addition to the corrosion concerns where the grate was cut. You could go back and apply a cold zinc coating but it is not as good as the hot dipped galvanized coating.
The negative aspect to my water feature is the pump is not easily accessible as tadpole pointed out. I thought a metal lid cut in three pieces could solve the problem, which I guess wouldn't work? The metal lid could break down over time and damage the pump? Obviously staining isn't an issue. The actual color of the feature is "rust."

Lack of access to the feature does suck... not so much for the client, but for the maintenance company(me). The only basin that would really support the feature and have a trap door was $500. That would blow the client's budget. I don't think I sacrificed long term longetivity, but I did sacrifice ease of maintenance which is something I will just have to deal with. If it was a bigger project with a bigger budget, I would have loved to use the nicer basin.

And I think even with those trap doors on the nicer basin, the feature would have to be disassembled as well to get the pump out of it. Which isn't a big deal, it just takes about 15 minutes to take apart the 4-piece fountain. I could be wrong, but the trap doors looked just big enough to get your hand inside. But the trap doors would be nice to adjust autofill or setting on the pump.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Abs grating is 2 3/4inches thick very strong and flexible so yes you do need to support however you have to support steel grating as well.. i always custom build my basins with liner and grating. This way it gives me the ability to place an access panel where ever I want for pumps. If you take time to break down costs its actually cheaper my way than buying those expensive basin kits but I'm not limited to there sizes and therefore not worrying about how to get my pump etc. I posted a thread a couple of days of a current job and one of the pics shows the grating.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
Well I assume people read the thread.
The thread is about multiple topics and I follow it lightly. Hence the reason I asked about the metal. Then you said I was pulling things out of my ass instead of responding directly to my question.

So if you had not ASSUMED something and decided to evade and insult me then I would not felt you were lying and hiding something.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a pic..........
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grate and the Vault
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Real good setup for a non-load bearing project.