Register free!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

business

Hello I know this is a dumb question But i will ask opinion any way.

what is the best way to go about getting commercial work most of what we do is referral work but want to expand any input would be great thanks Jay Just cuts lawn care inc
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's difficult; network, chamber of commerce, ask for it or grab somebodies scrawny chicken neck.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Networking is key for properties that one would desire. The key is finding a commercial property that is willing to pay for proper care that also benefits you. Anyone can give there work away which has happened IMHO in the commercial world since the economy crashed. VC, Villa and Sons, Nannak"s started eating into each others profits trying to obtain the work.
There are commercial accounts out there that understand you get what you pay for. The key is find those. Networking will lead you in the correct direction. Another key is being able to offer the total package to make life easy for the property mgr, this means having a PCO sub, a irrigation sub lined up and ready to bid so that you can make the bid all inclusive, this lets the property mgr worry about one less thing.

Also even though you do not currently have any commercial, have letters of recommendation ready to go from your homeowners. Many commercial properties will not even consider you until they can feel confident that you have the resources to handle the amount of work that they can throw at you, IE if you get a HOA can you deliver 65 yards of installed mulch on moments notice? When they decide they want it often they are not willing to wait, they want it now, not when you can fit it in.

Lat but not least, I will advice you that commercial can be profitable, but remember that the numbers must be there for you and you must be set up to lose that account at a moments notice. Can you afford to put all your eggs in one basket?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

^^^ Good advice also know that commercial work comes and goes at a moments notice I have lost commercial accounts based only on a larger company coming in and underbidding me by a very small amount and I know for a fact they are not making money on the job ..I do my home work on what I need to charge to make a profit and I refuse to work for free so when the big dog comes in to take my bone just in spite that is fine by me cause I have seen it all to often they loose the account with in a year either by raising the rate and upsetting the customer or simply slacking at what they promised..Do not be afraid to charge the customer trust me if you do good work it will not be long for people to see this and start calling you...look professional at all times and look for the accounts you want go in and talk to the person in charge give cards and your info..you will have a lot of doors shut in your face but the one that opens will be a start to more...BE NICE TO EVERYONE you never know who you are talking to could be your next big customer...peace...good luck..
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks

thank you for the insight I do have a couple commercial accounts but not much landscaping they just want basic services but have to start somewhere everyone HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY AND THANKS AGAIN