http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...ed-to-save-dog

not to blow anything out of proportion
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...ed-to-save-dog

not to blow anything out of proportion
So, what's the way (if any) to avoid that happening to other poor souls?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
So, what's the way (if any) to avoid that happening to other poor souls?
this mishap just drives my point home, you never take electricity or water for granted. many irrigators install controllers using methods that are unacceptable or illegal, bypassing GFCI circuits, failing to install recommended grounding or using a higher amperage fuse to name a few.

utilities are ignored by some irrigators. they plow or trench without performing sweep searches and justify it by saying that they are small and non deadly for that reason. we do not have x-ray vision so we cannot know what lies underground.

we will have to wait for the results of the investigation to know the cause of this and other "accidents" such as this one i posted earlier this year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1635952.html

i am not saying that one should live his life in fear, (you have seen some of the work that i have done within inches of "hot" utilities) but that if you learn to have the utmost respect for underground utilities, perform your work in accordance to the codes, you, your workers and your clients may never have to deal with such tragic events.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gfi makes sense to me near any body of water or potential water hazard.

Inside a covered garage? What is the reasoning for the code to specify gfci? What is the hazard?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the cheapest locator for tracing underground power line? I already have a 521 on service truck, but was wondering if there was something a little cheaper so my install crew can trace power lines if necessary.

Trenched through a 220 line the other day and I ended up replacing entire line at my expense... need to start locating them. You hear that jim! You are right, no more trench and repair. Trace then trench!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We located a ton of utilities with the 521, but I always had the electricians come over to show us how to hook up without frying ourselves.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
We located a ton of utilities with the 521, but I always had the electricians come over to show us how to hook up without frying ourselves.
Breaker panel man! I replaced the 220 line myself, repaired broken conduit, and pulled wire back through it. I am not an electrician, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night. Guess i need to buy another 521.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
What is the cheapest locator for tracing underground power line? I already have a 521 on service truck, but was wondering if there was something a little cheaper so my install crew can trace power lines if necessary.
the 521 will work, especially if it is an older one. if buying new, the pro-800 is my favorite. the 800 has induction capabilities and null/peak direct connection modes.

buying used i would lean toward the pipehorn as it also has induction mode.

Quote:
Breaker panel man! I replaced the 220 line myself, repaired broken conduit, and pulled wire back through it. I am not an electrician, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night. Guess i need to buy another 521.
ML was referring to connecting the transmitter to trace, always connect to either the ground wire from the panel or the panel lid. NEVER enter the panel for a point of connection, all utilities are grounded so connecting to the ground is your best bet.

glad no one was hurt.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Greenlee 501 works well also. And it has an induction mode so wires etc do not have to be unhooked.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Contracting View Post
Greenlee 501 works well also. And it has an induction mode so wires etc do not have to be unhooked.
501 @ 447 khz

pipehorn @ 9 or 480 khz

800 @ 185 khz

4110 @ 83 khz

higher the frequency the more the coupling issues and shorter the distance, the lower the frequency, longer distances and fewer coupling issues.

you guys complain about bleeding signals @ 1.75 khz, wait till you try some of these.