Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Husqvarna 223L questions

I was doing some research to replacing my current trimmer and came across this forum. Wow, talk about sensory overload.

My trimmer is a Stihl POS36, I mean FS36. Found out that it was not actually made by Stihl. It has been nothing but trouble from the time I bought it. It wouldn't stay running until I started using TruFuel and had problems finding replacement trimmer heads to fit it due to the long threading. It revs way to high too.

After seeing the glowing reviews for the Husky 223L, I am leaning towards getting one but I have a question. I use my trimmer left handed and have saw where the 223L can cause some burning due to the configuration. Is this a major problem?

Also, I like look and feel of the rubber over mold grip on the Echo's line of trimmers better than the one on the 223L. Can the grip be replaced on the 223L?

Thanks for any insight given.

Ted
Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

When checking my thread, I didn't realize I submitted a blank reply from my phone so sorry about that.

Hopefully, someone will reply to this thread because I had planned on going by Lowes tomorrow after work.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, nobody is going to reply to someone who sends blank replies...it's absoultely the worst thing you could have done!

Just kidding. I bought a Husky 323 earlier this summer, which is the same as the 223 except it has a solid shaft (with a lifetime warranty) instead of cable shaft (for $30 more). The 223, 323 and 326 are all very similar and are popular with pro landscapers due to their easy starting, light weight and good power. I really like mine! It does seem to get a little hot, but not to the point it's going to burn you. I rest my arm right on the top of it at times when trimming one handed and have yet to get burned, although I did get a little zap from the spark plug wire once. I have run it left handed as well and the heat wasn't a problem. My only real complaint is that I seem to go through a lot of string on it with all users. I'm not sure if that's because the bump spring is on the light side or because of wanting a little more string out or what. As far as the grip, I say just get used to it rather than replacing it or wear light weight gloves like I do.

I can't speak for the longevity of the units, but I'm very happy with mine...the main reasons being: it's really powerfull for how light it is, it starts easily, it's ready to work right away and, did I mention it's really light, lol.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I have never owned a Husqvarna product or even considered one until I found this forum.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You're welcome and welcome to Lawnsite.

Husqvarna is one of the worlds largest manufacturers of power equipment. They've been well known and loved for their chain saws for quite some time. I've had one of their saws (a 55 Rancher) since around 1998 and it's been 100% trouble free, as has the 580BTS blower I bought last fall.

Keep in mind that it will probably take you a little time to get used to a straight shaft trimmer after using a bent shaft one...the heads rotate in opposite directions you know. However, straight shaft trimmers are best used left handed.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've three Huskys. They are very easy to maintain. If it is reving too high, then just adjust the throttle screw. Manual will show you how to do it. These straight shaft machines work circles around Stihl, and many small engine repair places will not shaft you when it needs a checkup.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I did some left handed trimming today and yeah, it does blow hot air on your forearm for sure and it's a little annoying but not like you're gonna end up with Husqvarna branded on your arm, lol.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have alot of husqvarna trimmers. My oldest is6 years and 3500+ hours on it. I really love my husqvarnas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the input. Wasn't able to go by Lowes yesterday. Still debating on the purchase due to the feel of the handle on the 223L being similar to my Stihl. I like the design and feel of the handles on Echo's line of straight shaft trimmers better.

Decisions, decisions.