Register free!

Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Dead grass thatch should stay on the lawn to decompose and provide cover for seed... using a slit-seeder in an attempt to get the seed under the grass mulch is good, but seed will find its way into the mulch just fine...

Living thatch on the other hand doesn't allow seed to penetrate its waterproof layer, but then it is thick with weak grass already... knowing the status of this living thatch will help you decide how to proceed with the seeding...

I can think of no circumstance where detaching will help the situation of either type of thatch... raking in the $10K every Spring is probably the only reason to keep de-thatching on the lawncare list...
I think we may not all be on the same page, as to what thatch is:.....?

And to the OP How much thatch do you have? That would give us all the ability to answer your question in our own opinions and you can decide what to do from there.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Let me see if I got this straight...

You've already put down a significant amount of seed and you're wondering if you should rip up and remove the dead grass/clippings and remove it!!??
Nope. I never said that. Please re-read my post. The lawn is verticut/de-thatched w/o seeding, then thatch bagged, then seeded using the slit seeder.

jfoxtrot9, I didn't even get into the discussion on prevention with Axe. What he said in another post was that it was in 'error' to remove thatch. That is a very broad statement and simply is not true. Fescue lawns may produce a robust thatch layer on their own even under ideal conditions. Never de-thatching or measuring the thatch layer is not a good turf maintenance practice.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1990 View Post
measuring the thatch layer is not a good turf maintenance practice.
I disagree. how else will you know if it is too much or not?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

What I am asking is should I remove the thatch that the Spit Seeder brought up> Remember I seeded the lawn before I used the Spit Seeder and this brought up the thatch. My question is just how much seed is laying in that thatch? Should I rake it up not knowing how much seed is in it or will the seed fall down to the ground by itself? Or should I mow it with a Marching Mower than put the seed down? Or remove it after you mower it?

I agree with JoJo1990
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave does lawns View Post
I disagree. how else will you know if it is too much or not?
You only took part of my quote. I said that NEVER de-thatching or measuring the thatch layer is a bad practice. That was a poor choice of words on my part. It goes without saying that monitoring the thatch layer is important. I prefer to use a profile sampler as you get the full picture of the thatch layer. A core sampler would work in a pinch.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
What I am asking is should I remove the thatch that the Spit Seeder brought up> Remember I seeded the lawn before I used the Spit Seeder and this brought up the thatch. My question is just how much seed is laying in that thatch? Should I rake it up not knowing how much seed is in it or will the seed fall down to the ground by itself? Or should I mow it with a Marching Mower than put the seed down? Or remove it after you mower it?

I agree with JoJo1990
Just mulch it. It sounds like you do not have THATCH, it sounds like to have dead grass. So yes mulch it with the mower and then add more seed.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post

I agree with JoJo1990
Yes. You should de-thatch first. I take my slit seeder and go over the entire lawn once with NO seed. Then, I take my bagger and collect all of the thatch. Finally, add seed to your seeder and go over the lawn in two directions. The minimal thatch layer you pull up during the seeding passes can be left where it sits.

If you already put the seed down, it's too late. If you bag the thatch you'll also collect some amount of your seed. If the thatch is excessive, it would be best to bag it anyway, then seed again.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You know what I was going to do was what you said: take the Spit Seeder over it first than seed, but they talked me into seedig first than go over it with the Spit Seeder.

How much seed would you say I will loose if I remove the thatch, but like Dave does Lawns said, it could be just dead grass which it looks like to me.If it is just dead grass would you go ahead and mow it and seed over it or pick it up than seed?
Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1990 View Post
You only took part of my quote. I said that NEVER de-thatching or measuring the thatch layer is a bad practice. That was a poor choice of words on my part. It goes without saying that monitoring the thatch layer is important. I prefer to use a profile sampler as you get the full picture of the thatch layer. A core sampler would work in a pinch.
Sorry JOJO, I did misread your post.

If you have thatch it should be measured, but in this case it sounds like what you have is dead grass, I would mulch mow it and then add remaining seed needed.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave does lawns View Post
Sorry JOJO, I did misread your post.

If you have thatch it should be measured, but in this case it sounds like what you have is dead grass, I would mulch mow it and then add remaining seed needed.
With what you just said I have to tell you that I would have to say that I have a High-Maintenance lawn since I fertilizes my lawn 3 times in the Spring and 3 times in the Fall.

I start fertilizes starting in March and ending in June and than again in August and ending at Thanksgiveing. So with this said would still call it grass or would you call it thatch?

What I am putting on my lawn is: MUSTANG MIX
SHENANDOAH ELITE TALL FESCUE 24.90%
FINELAWN ELITE TALL FESCUE 24.80%
FALCON lV TALL FESCUE 24.75%
PALMER lll PERENNIAL RYEGRASS 14.90%
PARK KENTUCKY BLUEGRASS 9.96%
OTHER CROP SEEDS .03%
INERET MATTER .66%

i HOPE THAT THIS MAKES THINGS CLEARER ON WHAT i AM DOING.