Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-02-2012, 06:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I did forget one thing about a year or two ago I took a garden rack and went over my whole lawn and really did not get much of anything off of it. You would think that you would have got allot off of it than.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will be washing seed into dead grass and keeping it wet much less often than bare dirt would be kept wet and yet the moisture level will be high and the seed will germinate and grow healthy plants... nothing in this sentence, even remotely refers to "Thatch"... I wish professionals would at least learn what "Thatch" is...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Smallaxe Thank-You for your help in my question about seeding over the dead grass from the Spit Seeder.

What I need to do is take the mower over the dead grass that lays on top and mow it up than seed over it. Do you think that the seed will fall to the ground so it has contact with the soil?

I understand what you are saying about the moisture and that is what you want so you will get a very good stand of grass.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd just mulch mow after running the irrigation for a couple of days...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I'd just mulch mow after running the irrigation for a couple of days...
So I understand what you are saying is you would seed over the dead grass that you took the mower to and seed over it than water it for a few days to soak it into the soil. Am I right?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I have much better luck putting seed into dead grass than bare soil... I never bag dead grass of my own volition...
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Taking dead grass and similar organic materials out of the turf is like stripping paint off the car so it holds wax better...
you seed will do much better in dead grass clippings than on bare soil,,, therefore bagging when mowing and dethatching and removing that asset is an error...
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Taking dead grass and similar organic materials out of the turf is like stripping paint off the car so it holds wax better...
you seed will do much better in dead grass clippings than on bare soil,,, therefore bagging when mowing and dethatching and removing that asset is an error...
This is not entirely true. What if a lawn had never been de-thatched? Are you going to make a 'trial' pass with the slit seeder and wind up pulling up excessive thatch to the point it is not failing to allow irrigation through? That partially decayed organic mat does a horrible job at retaining water. When the thatch layer is excessive, it should be bagged. When you make your seeding passes, any extra thatch can be left where it is.

I mulch mow my lawn 100% of the time. The only time I will ever bag is when I'm preparing to slice seed.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This thread is irking me beyond....... words.I don't know where to even start.

Thatch to me means: "partially decayed organic mat does a horrible job at retaining water".

Anything below this should be soil.

Above it you have your grass, and dying/dead crowns.

Its the dying dead crowns that look like the color of wood that I would leave for all the benefits that smallaxe has stated.

That thatch layer could be bad for seed if it is too thick because when the seed roots into it it does not offer the same protection that soil will. Unprotected roots will die in a short time and so will all grass you just seeded.

Measure the thatch and 1/2" or less is fine.

The OP asked how often to de-thatch. Answer is: As often as necessary to maintain a healthy level of thatch.

I have too customers side by side:

first guy has 1/2" of thatch, Lawn looks good all season.

Second guy has no measurable thatch, lawn looks great in the spring but then I am skipping mows half way through the season because he has no thatch the soil has no protection to the sun.

Both house are mowed the exact same day by the same mower by the same guy guy using the same fertilizer.

Another guy a few blocks away has alot of thatch, 2" and although his lawn looks good all year from the road, a birds eye view tells a different story. There are many areas where there are complete dead spots. Dig below the thatch and soil is bone dry.

So am I right about what thatch is?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still waiting on someone to ask why anyone would want to "detach" a lawn anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device