Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Dang, only $75 for 2 acres? I could maybe see that if it is a rural area wide open with hardly any trimming or blowing, but I do a residential on 1.6 acres in the heart of Memphis, in addition to the house it has 2 apartments in the back, fully fenced and a lot of stuff to trim around and get $150. Just hard for me to believe anyone would do the same type job for half.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

1 acre i charge 75-80 I think thats cheap for the amount of time it takes
Old 09-03-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petscanning View Post
1 acre i charge 75-80 I think thats cheap for the amount of time it takes

I can get $85 an acre for field mowing.

I'd really have to like the guy to go less than that for two acres of turf.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsmythe View Post
Dang, only $75 for 2 acres? I could maybe see that if it is a rural area wide open with hardly any trimming or blowing, but I do a residential on 1.6 acres in the heart of Memphis, in addition to the house it has 2 apartments in the back, fully fenced and a lot of stuff to trim around and get $150. Just hard for me to believe anyone would do the same type job for half.
On this one 2 acre apartment complex, it went for $35. there are 4 buildings and all the a/c units to trim around etc. $35 measly bucks. Only a fool would do it for that. I guess they're out there.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMan View Post
On this one 2 acre apartment complex, it went for $35. there are 4 buildings and all the a/c units to trim around etc. $35 measly bucks. Only a fool would do it for that. I guess they're out there.
and when the 35 dollar guys blow week after week grass into the condenser coil on the A/c units the maintance man for that apartment complex will have something to say..and when a couple of those units burnup THEN that complex will be looking for someone else to cut.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locke_thekey View Post
Haha, I was trying to keep it to myself but my wife is my partner. I am actually the bookkeeper and she is going to be the one out in the field so to speak since I have a job that we can't afford for me to leave.

We'll figure it out but I won't feel comfortable until we do.
Posted via Mobile Device
The truth comes out.

You are your wife's employee.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Well so far it's looking like it depends where you live. Also your equipment size as stated earlier. I tried getting a 2 acre place around here and offered to do it for $85. I guess that was too much. I didn't get it. There wasn't much trimming or blowing.

As for your partner being your wife I think that's cool. My help is my wife as well. All the money then comes into the same household. We have been together for about twenty three years now so getting along with each other is hit and miss. I'll tell you what though, it's hard watching her walk with a 21inch while I'm sitting and mowing. That's why I stay in the back behind the houses. I can't see her from there. LOL!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunica View Post
and when the 35 dollar guys blow week after week grass into the condenser coil on the A/c units the maintance man for that apartment complex will have something to say..and when a couple of those units burnup THEN that complex will be looking for someone else to cut.

I don't mean to brag but I landed a 4 plex that sits on just under a 9000 sq ft lot, at least half of that is building, sidewalks, garage and garage pad.

I get $40 per cut/week. I do keep the rock and sidewalk crack weeds killed and will trim a couple of low hanging branches at no extra cost. Neither of those two items are significant cost.

The 4 plex owners pay it gladly............ because my company is dependable.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunica View Post
EXACTLY! That's why it's best not to worry about the low ballers. Don't be stressed when you lose work to a lower bid. It's only going to take a client one time of getting screwed over by some weekend warrior to realize that a lawn service provider is NOT right thing to pinch pennies on. It's easy to spot a lawn that is poorly provided for. That's where us as business men/women swoop in to explain to client how we can do better, and why it's worth paying the extra money.

NEVER drop YOUR prices because a competitor is dropping theirs! The customers who want to harass you on the price are not the customers you truly want anyways.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLawncare View Post
Well so far it's looking like it depends where you live. Also your equipment size as stated earlier. I tried getting a 2 acre place around here and offered to do it for $85. I guess that was too much. I didn't get it. There wasn't much trimming or blowing.

As for your partner being your wife I think that's cool. My help is my wife as well. All the money then comes into the same household. We have been together for about twenty three years now so getting along with each other is hit and miss. I'll tell you what though, it's hard watching her walk with a 21inch while I'm sitting and mowing. That's why I stay in the back behind the houses. I can't see her from there. LOL!!!
yeah it works everytime watchin my wife doing lawn work.