Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-05-2012, 02:15 AM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
is yours also an allison?
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 AM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
is yours also an allison?
Yes, I think it's a MT653(one of the big boy transmissions). It shifts and then locks up in each gear. I've been told when you have an automatic that you want lots of horsepower because they do 'take' some power. I had a gas tandem Kodiak with the automatic and we didn't like it. It would never shift up, you had to really rev it up.
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
I have been looking for another truck and I narrowed it down too a F650 Flatbed dump with an auto. Most all of these trucks willl have a 5.9 cummins or a C7 Cat engine. The Internationals will mostly have a DT466. What I am finding is the 90 model trucks are not nearly as comfortable too operate as the 2000 and up trucks. I personally like the Ford interiors. As have been said get as much HP as possible. I drive on average 40 miles one way to jobs all back roads so the older trucks are just too much work. Expect too pay 20k for a nice early 2000 truck. If you can deal with the older trucks then stick with an early international pre electronics. The power on those trucks can easily be raised. The allisons are very reliable. They rate them in series 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. The 1000 comes behind chevy 2500/3500 trucks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
Both my dumps are in the 80's. Moving to the 90's would be incredible. The only other option for me is a 1999+ 550 but they seem to be made of gold. I got my 2003 lariat crew cab 250 for 10g cash. I can't understand why i can't get a stripped out work truck 550 for 15g cash.
This international seemed like a good compromise and a great platform to build a nasty hardscape machine like etwmans rigs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
You can get plenty of F550 trucks, regular cab with decent miles 99-03 for around 10k or less where I live.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM
willretire@40's Avatar
willretire@40 willretire@40 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 1,381
Look on truckpaper com
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Landrus2's Avatar
Landrus2 Landrus2 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big apple
Posts: 4,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
You can get plenty of F550 trucks, regular cab with decent miles 99-03 for around 10k or less where I live.
With dump body dam I'm getting my trucks there. Do you have any dealer names. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
lets carpool joesimoes LOL

post some links, I'll drive or fly for the right truck!
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM
stuvecorp's Avatar
stuvecorp stuvecorp is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: lake wissota, wi
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
I have been looking for another truck and I narrowed it down too a F650 Flatbed dump with an auto. Most all of these trucks willl have a 5.9 cummins or a C7 Cat engine. The Internationals will mostly have a DT466. What I am finding is the 90 model trucks are not nearly as comfortable too operate as the 2000 and up trucks. I personally like the Ford interiors. As have been said get as much HP as possible. I drive on average 40 miles one way to jobs all back roads so the older trucks are just too much work. Expect too pay 20k for a nice early 2000 truck. If you can deal with the older trucks then stick with an early international pre electronics. The power on those trucks can easily be raised. The allisons are very reliable. They rate them in series 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. The 1000 comes behind chevy 2500/3500 trucks.
I really thought those newer F650/750 Fords could have been great, not sure why they didn't catch on? Was it Ford or the dealers that just didn't work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Both my dumps are in the 80's. Moving to the 90's would be incredible. The only other option for me is a 1999+ 550 but they seem to be made of gold. I got my 2003 lariat crew cab 250 for 10g cash. I can't understand why i can't get a stripped out work truck 550 for 15g cash.
This international seemed like a good compromise and a great platform to build a nasty hardscape machine like etwmans rigs.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would think you could get a 550 for the $15,000? You have a good budget I think.
__________________
Do or do not. There is no try. yoda
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
what do you guys think of this one? I actually looked at it in person, need to go back and double check the oil pan. no rust on bed or body but 190k on the clock. owned by a supply yard delivering mulch sand rock etc. wants 13.5, I think 10k or 12k cash gets it though
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/3246200095.html
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.07959 seconds with 9 queries