Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stolen Gas & I wanna give them another 5 gal.

Had 10 gal of gas stolen out of the bed of my truck. I wish it was diesel they stole & dumped in their vehicle. Was thinkin abt putting another 5 gal can in truck with 4.75 gal water & abt .25 gal of gas to float on water or maybe a gas/sugar mix. Or is there a stupid law that would make this illegal for me to do. IE...thief comes back & sues me for damages to vehicle from putting stolen/unknown fluid from my fuel can in their tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No laws preventing you from mixing gas and water for your own use...if someone steals it, that's their fault.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My gas was stolen abt 2 wks ago & yesterday morning there was a fuel can on the corner down the street. (Not 1 of mine) So I feel there is someone walkin around at night lookin for gas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I had 25 gallons stollen from my rack in my garage a few years ago and I thought about doing the same thing, putting a mixture of gasoline and chlorine. When telling this to the officer, he said that that would be illegal, "booby-trapping" or intentionally setting something up to do harm to a vehicle. And I could be liable for damages.. WTF!
But they can come and get what they want and there is nothing to do but let them take it.... I did it anyway and the kid down the block started walking 4 days later.. When I saw him pass by the house, I asked him what happened, he told me that his engine rusted from the inside out. I did a little happy dance, as I told him that I never heard of such a thing.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxurylawnsbyJB View Post
I had 25 gallons stollen from my rack in my garage a few years ago and I thought about doing the same thing, putting a mixture of gasoline and chlorine. When telling this to the officer, he said that that would be illegal, "booby-trapping" or intentionally setting something up to do harm to a vehicle. And I could be liable for damages.. WTF!
But they can come and get what they want and there is nothing to do but let them take it.... I did it anyway and the kid down the block started walking 4 days later.. When I saw him pass by the house, I asked him what happened, he told me that his engine rusted from the inside out. I did a little happy dance, as I told him that I never heard of such a thing.
Wonder if the kid thought..."Was something in 1 of those cans other than gas". If not, he prob didn't learn his lesson. Sure is nice you F'ed his ride up! Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

We actually had talked about doing the same thing as our open trailer makes it easy for them to grab and go. Where I have to cut we are parked in not such a great location sometimes. Even when we do get a good parking spot we cut several at a time.

You said ti though you would probably get sued for damaging their car for the STOLEN GAS!!! The law is strange sometimes.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn132012 View Post
We actually had talked about doing the same thing as our open trailer makes it easy for them to grab and go. Where I have to cut we are parked in not such a great location sometimes. Even when we do get a good parking spot we cut several at a time.

You said ti though you would probably get sued for damaging their car for the STOLEN GAS!!! The law is strange sometimes.
do you really think that someone who steals gas is going to go to a lawyer and tell him the story and then sue you?

Now, if your mixture caused some bodily injury, then a lawyer might be interested...but for a few thousand dollars, I would doubt any lawyer would be interested without getting the cash up front-
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep every-thing locked up. It's a pain in the butt, but oh well.

Our company is situated on a one acre farm. I caught two Meth. heads in our sheds trying to steal whatever they could to cook up. (the cops gave chase)

I caught them before they stole glyphosate and 2, 4-D that we have stored in the lock-up. Perhaps I should have given them the acetone they missed that was in another shed?

As for equipment and gas locked up in the back of the pick-ups, I have had dirt put into the gas tanks by idiots that couldn't steal any-thing because of the locks and cables.

By the way, the meth heads ventured through a blackberry field and took apart the fence at the back of the compound. It's been repaired and bolstered up now.

Moral of my story? Don't do Meth amphetamine! It will kill you
Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxurylawnsbyJB View Post
Booby trapping would be if you setup a bear trap on top of toilet tank where burglars continue to crawl through window to break in your home. This is called "lying in wait". You mixing gas to your liking or whatever reason you feel is your business.

That cop you talked to is wrong which is not surprising.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I had a punk kid walk up the side of my trailer and up the driver side bed of my truck about 15 months ago and reach over inside the b ed for a 5 gallon gas can with me sitting inside the truck watching him!!!! As soon as he reached in the bed I opened the door and was 12 inches from him as soon as I stepped outta the cab. He immediately dropped to his knees and started crying begging me to not do anything. Now I keep a 2 1/2 gallon bait can right inside the bed easily reach full of muratic acid and water(1/3 is water)! I also have in sharpie written on the side of the can "dangerous contents wear protection when handling" according to my neighbor who is a lawyer I've taken precautions to warn the idiots so it can't be pinned on me when it burns their skin off... I do some minor brick work repair so I have to have the muratic acid to clean brick. See I have an alibi. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device