Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Brickman is only doing Cheddar's. And yes, we are basically in house because it is our only account in the KC area and we are on site all week. Hopefully expanding and getting our own shop soon. We put in a bid to Ft. Leavenworth for maintenance, and they are wanting a two man crew on site at all times. And yea I know what you mean about the mulch, however it's not in our contract for removal of the old mulch as mall management doesn't want to pay for it, its frustrating really. Its about a 500 yard mulch job.

On a side note, I have a side job coming up for excavation of a 12x12x9' hole for a septic tank and was wondering if anyone knows where I can rent a backhoe attachment for a Gehl 4835 or Case 1845?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh yea greendude, just in case you were curious the name of my company is ERMC. They dabble in all trades like housekeeping, construction, maintenance, sweeping, and aviation maintenance. We are a commercial only Co. From what I hear most of our crews in different states do alot of malls and airports.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nparish View Post
Brickman is only doing Cheddar's. And yes, we are basically in house because it is our only account in the KC area and we are on site all week. Hopefully expanding and getting our own shop soon. We put in a bid to Ft. Leavenworth for maintenance, and they are wanting a two man crew on site at all times. And yea I know what you mean about the mulch, however it's not in our contract for removal of the old mulch as mall management doesn't want to pay for it, its frustrating really. Its about a 500 yard mulch job.

On a side note, I have a side job coming up for excavation of a 12x12x9' hole for a septic tank and was wondering if anyone knows where I can rent a backhoe attachment for a Gehl 4835 or Case 1845?
Hey dude Try K.C bobcat and talk to Matt Packer, tell him James Rosa Sent you. They treat me well and I'm sure they'll do the same for you. What mowers are you guys using onsite?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

We're running Toro, one GrandStand one ZMaster. Personally I don't care for the ZMaster all that much, but the GrandStands are nice machines. Thanks for the tip, also, I will let you know what I find out.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I thought I would come on here and introduce myself. I am in the process of starting a lawn company here in town and wanted to get my name out here with the established people of the area. I currently live in Gardner and looking to serve this area and others in southern johnson county. I was laid off from my job a year ago and have spent that time looking for a job all without success. So, here I am looking to make the jump into the business. Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Any advice specific to the area? Thanks, Eric
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
We're running Toro, one GrandStand one ZMaster. Personally I don't care for the ZMaster all that much, but the GrandStands are nice machines. Thanks for the tip, also, I will let you know what I find out.
Do you guys do the snow there to? that's gotta be a b!tch plowing all of that. Or the other contractor has to many loaders for his own good. I'll be sure to look for you guys next time I'm out in oak park mall.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Actually we have K&W Custom Underground Cable do our lot, we're basically a sidewalk crew. We have a Polaris ATV and JD Gator with a blade, few snow blowers. True North pre/post treats. I'm interested in nabbing this account for myself eventually as I know mall mgt. Likes to stay substancially under budget. My boss refuses to tell me how much the contract is for but I'm guessing somewhere in the 60k area. Are you in the area much? What's your company name? I can't wait to next season, I'm in the process of saving money for a truck/mower as I don't want to start out in debt.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecross4 View Post
Any advice specific to the area? Thanks, Eric
My best advice for someone serving southern JoCo would be to pick one thing and focus on the quality of your work and the quantity will come in time. By the way everyone my name is Nick.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Actually we have K&W Custom Underground Cable do our lot, we're basically a sidewalk crew. We have a Polaris ATV and JD Gator with a blade, few snow blowers. True North pre/post treats. I'm interested in nabbing this account for myself eventually as I know mall mgt. Likes to stay substancially under budget. My boss refuses to tell me how much the contract is for but I'm guessing somewhere in the 60k area. Are you in the area much? What's your company name? I can't wait to next season, I'm in the process of saving money for a truck/mower as I don't want to start out in debt.
Cool dude I'm James with Team Green Lawn & Tree in Overland park, if you have any jobs with trees you need help with give me a call. I've only seen one of K&W's trucks with a blizzard mount. My guess would be somewhere in 100-110k for the lot plowing. I'm also working on the ksu grounds crew in Manhattan. We've got 4 hustler super z's(2 gas 2 diesel) and about 10 gators and kubota rtv's alll together.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Usually they come and drop off about 5 backhoes with snow dozers in October. No need for em last year. My boss was tossing around the idea of sending me to Manhattan in October for a week to get certified as a Kansas Arborist. I miss working on a larger scale operation. I worked as a grounds crew for a 500 acre campus and there was always projects. Here at the mall it's alot of "piddling around". Bigger jobs usually go to Epic Landscape Productions. Those guys do good work.