Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes , I am sure , I get some very good pricing at the supply house . You can negotiate better prices with the supplier , I am strictly pay as I go , no account , actually run a adverage $ 500 credit so when i send a guy there ,for parts , its paid for . As far as cost anlysis factor in you will still need pvc fittings for things .
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
yes , I am sure , I get some very good pricing at the supply house . You can negotiate better prices with the supplier , I am strictly pay as I go , no account , actually run a adverage $ 500 credit so when i send a guy there ,for parts , its paid for . As far as cost anlysis factor in you will still need pvc fittings for things .
I will have to check at jdl, supposedly I get things for 5% above cost. And .20 sounds super super cheap.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From what I have talked with people JDL marks there stuff up pretty high.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I will have to check at jdl, supposedly I get things for 5% above cost. And .20 sounds super super cheap.
I dont buy from jdl . I checked my invoice from last week , I was wrong , it was 22 cents .
Old 09-05-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I wouldn't give up on it so quick. I have only pulled a few jobs so far, and when we switch to poly, we really cut the time down. And my guys haven't started pulling multiple pipes yet.

When I pulled pvc, it took longer than trenching pvc. When I used poly it took the same amount of time as trenching on the first job. So I think it will get much faster. I think we will really start to cut the time down when we get a little more experience under our belt.

And look into these, I will never use another chinese grip.

http://www.dawnindustries.com/index....d=5&item_id=98
intersting grip for sure. i have yet to finish the other job with pipe pulled in, i really dont think it will be kickable though. i will try, but we will see how goes. couldnt get started after pulling the pipe for many reasons beyond my control, not by choice.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Well you still have to glue the pipe together, and the poly seems to pull easier in clay. I don't like the pvc bc it seems to get in a bind at valve connection and the angles have to be right whereas poly is alot more forgiving. I had problems getting the angle just right at the valve box and cutting in Ts and getting those angle just right.
def takes some skill and forethought to get those angles right for sure. kinda tough in some places
Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt22 View Post
Don't over think it if you are used to pushing and pulling just add the use of a spade to push the pipe back and forth between holes with one guy on one end and another at the glue end. Use the back side of the spade jabbing it in the ground at a slight angle to allow you to push it towards the hole with the glued fitting on it. *Always do the end head last of course. A lot easier than beating up your foot all day....
totally, but i think it may be too late, after several good rains on the installed pipe, before i can get back to the job, which was out of my control.

like i said, i will try but dont think it will work. i tried on one the other day while finishing up a job and it was a no go. pipe would not give an inch, this was installed the same time as the job i am worried about.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawns Etc View Post
As long as your bullet is larger than the pipe it should still push and pull fairly easy. We dig 18" square blocks of soil out to put in the fittings and its usually pretty easy to push and pull into the fittings.
2 inch bullet for 1 inch pipe. ground was extra hard and really pushed up in a mound on this one.