Register free!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Yes I am talking only about cool-season grasses...

Interesting note about thatch being an insulator for winter... We like to leave dead grass in the turf to insulate from the sun...
Or....you "dethatch" in early spring, then fertilize (if overseeding is not needed) & water like crazy to allow the turf to grow thick and you don't cut lower than 3" all summer and keep a steady water schedule, the turf itself will be an "insulate" from the heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Or....you "dethatch" in early spring, then fertilize (if overseeding is not needed) & water like crazy to allow the turf to grow thick and you don't cut lower than 3" all summer and keep a steady water schedule, the turf itself will be an "insulate" from the heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is fine, tall grass in the heat is necessary, but that alone doesn't replace the OM getting into the soil,,, building structure, which increase water infiltration, retention and air movement,,, provide CE sites for holding nutrients even providing habitat for earthworms to multiply in the turf...

If you can look straight down and see dirt... the sun is killing what should be living soil...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can look straight down and see dirt... the sun is killing what should be living soil... :-)

Well said I might have to borrow that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aeration should be done ideally spring and fall when the air temps are cooler. Aeration exposes the roots which will get baked in the summer heat.

De-Thaching: I would only de thatch as needed. When the "thatch", (found below the mulched clipping and dead crowns) is more then 1/2" thick its time to de-thatch. Using good lawn care practices, you should not ever need to do this.

Power raking: Is something I do yearly in the spring for many people. It is just a light rake of the surface and the accumulated clippings and dead crowns. I think its unnecessary to do this for any other reason then visual appearance, much like some people are unwilling to deal with mulching their grass and therefore it must be bagged, visual appearance. I only do power raking after explaining to a customer that they do not need it, and if the still want it done, then I will do it, cause hey if I don't someone else will.