Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Just saw this -- Please don't use K-31, ugliest stuff there is. A TTTF like Rebel with 10% KBG would be ok. Personally, I'd go with perennial rye for now, and dormant seed in January/Feb with Yukon Bermudagrass. Recent studies have shown that dormant seeding works well with Yukon, and you might even get some germination in March if the weather is mild like last year. It will soon overtake the ryegrass, as long as you keep the ryegrass cut very low once the Yukon starts to germinate and has reached a height of one inch. Yukon will go dormant after the first hard frost, which is pretty late in your area, is very cold tolerant, greens up early in April, and crowds out the weeds. What more could anyone ask?
You are absolutely correct, and that was my bad call...it's just I'm from the old school and call basically all fescue Kentucky 31, when in reality it is Rebel fescue that is by far the better blend. I should not have used the term Kentucky 31, but instead the statement should have read Rebel Tall Fescue.

QUOTE:

"Rebel Tall Fescue grass seed varieties are scientifically developed to grow a darker, greener, denser, more premium lawn than other brands Tall Fescue seed varieties. All Rebel Tall Fescue grass seed products have been specially blended to ensure maximum performance throughout the Tall Fescue growing region."
Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I honestly have too much grass (mow 10 acres each week) to baby that large amount, but because of being a farmer, I love to see anything grow and do well.