Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Crepe Myrtle or Crape Myrtle

Guys I'm thinking of three White Crape Myrtle's to go across the front of the house. As I research I'm seeing the two names come up is there a difference or used interchangeably?

Also, want the tree not the bush.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
Guys I'm thinking of three White Crape Myrtle's to go across the front of the house. As I research I'm seeing the two names come up is there a difference or used interchangeably?

Also, want the tree not the bush.
"Crepe" myrtle is the proper way to spell that.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

It's commonly spelled both ways. For a white CM, Natchez grow to ~20 tall & are nice specimens.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbrze View Post
It's commonly spelled both ways. For a white CM, Natchez grow to ~20 tall & are nice specimens.
The Natchez, white is what I'm looking at

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kirk,
Violin or Fiddle.............Vase or vase...........Engine or motor.........It depends on where you are around the Mason Dixie Line.
I really hate to hear the phrase motor relating to an engine by the way.

The white Crepe Myrtle is beautiful but in my area, it isn't hardy enough to endure the odd weather patterns. The red, dynamite, pink is the best for my area.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lagerstroemia indica...that will end the discussion. Common names are just that, common.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Kirk,
Violin or Fiddle.............Vase or vase...........Engine or motor.........It depends on where you are around the Mason Dixie Line.
I really hate to hear the phrase motor relating to an engine by the way.

The white Crepe Myrtle is beautiful but in my area, it isn't hardy enough to endure the odd weather patterns. The red, dynamite, pink is the best for my area.
We have some of the pink up around the house we bought from henryfields last spring, going to get some more next spring to add to the ones up near the house as the others seem to have done real well and we like them

The ones up near the house will provide some shade for the house eventually.

Found a nursery locally to get some white ones 4 feet tall for about $35 each and hopefully, unlike the dogwoods that died the Crape Myrtles will uptake iron in the clay soil.

The whole area is clay and dogwoods are everywhere and so are the crape myrtles. My luck they will die out too "knock on wood".

Then God created Women
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How close to the house?? Our state horticulturist doesn't recommend any closer than 5 feet from the house. I don't think there is any difference between the "bush" and "tree," but to obtain a "tree" style you have to prune them properly and consistently to get them to grow the way you want. That being said, if I want a "tree" style, I try to select one that is already growing generally the way I want (with only one or two major trunks). It then becomes easier to "train" them. I did the same thing with pretty good luck on a couple of the Natchez white varieties that I planted in my front yard.

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Natchez trees up well. I have one about 10 foot from the house and it shades well.

I trim lower limbs and can walk under it. It is starting to get a litte crowed by my Red Oak. However the Red oak is getting crowdered by the house, drive and street so I am not sure how much bigger it will get.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
How close to the house?? Our state horticulturist doesn't recommend any closer than 5 feet from the house. I don't think there is any difference between the "bush" and "tree," but to obtain a "tree" style you have to prune them properly and consistently to get them to grow the way you want. That being said, if I want a "tree" style, I try to select one that is already growing generally the way I want (with only one or two major trunks). It then becomes easier to "train" them. I did the same thing with pretty good luck on a couple of the Natchez white varieties that I planted in my front yard.
Actually, I put them way too close to the sidewalk, LOL but are about 10 feet away from the house. If I knew I wouldn't put them through a shock I'd dig the 3 we have up and split the difference between the hose and sidewalk. These aren't big, 10" high when we set them out in the spring.

I've been wondering how to tell the difference between the tree and bush so that's the trick ey? Thanks. The 10" ones we got from Henry Fields do just have one trunk right now so will be easy to train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Natchez trees up well. I have one about 10 foot from the house and it shades well.

I trim lower limbs and can walk under it. It is starting to get a litte crowed by my Red Oak. However the Red oak is getting crowdered by the house, drive and street so I am not sure how much bigger it will get.
Ok great, and the ones next to the sidewalk are the 10" we got so that will solve that problem now.

http://www.henryfields.com/product/H...lowering_trees

By the way, what do you recomend fertilizing them with?

Then God created Women