Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tree or Bush ID

Have a neighbor wanting to know what this is, any idea guys?

Not dogwood I compared to my wild dogwood and the berries on the dogwood are oval and not shinny.

Has about 6 feet of growth this year and wants to know when to cut it back and if the birds will eat the berries.

Thanks in advance.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like a dog wood to me. The leaves are opposite. The leaves look like a dog wood. Do you have a pic of the plant.

It could be you have a different verity of dogwood.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticolawnllc View Post
It looks like a dog wood to me. The leaves are opposite. The leaves look like a dog wood. Do you have a pic of the plant.

It could be you have a different verity of dogwood.
unfortunately not, the plant is not across the street or I'd take a pic. He got it from somewhere he's working.

Have to check and have him ask the lady if it blooms in the spring.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 09-09-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Dogwood trees that fall into the cornus florida species usually have red berries. These are the trees commonly associated with the name flowering dogwood, including the red, pink and white flowering dogwood trees. The cornelian cherry dogwood tree, or cornus mas, has red fruit, as does the kousa dogwood, or cornus kousa.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nparish View Post
Dogwood trees that fall into the cornus florida species usually have red berries. These are the trees commonly associated with the name flowering dogwood, including the red, pink and white flowering dogwood trees. The cornelian cherry dogwood tree, or cornus mas, has red fruit, as does the kousa dogwood, or cornus kousa.
I have/had some kousa's and those berries are about the size of a grape or larger.

As I said, dogwood was my first thought too but he said he ruled that out however I'll double check and make sure it doesn't bloom in the spring.

Then God created Women
Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tree or Bush ID

Mad horse
Maple
Ash
Dogwood
Horse chestnut
Those are the ones I know have opposite leaves. It's not a maple or horse chestnut and it doesn't look like an ash leaves.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tree or Bush ID

Take a pic of the bark.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok guys, went with my neighbor this morning to get compost and topsoil for the fall renivating and we swung by and got pics, hope these help. The one I took of the bark is out of focus but the camera focused in on the other branches so they are in focus.

Now I see it's not a dogwood

Then God created Women
Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like what we got growing all over the woods... it like a huge weed in the under story of the forest... don't know what it's called...
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That looks like what we got growing all over the woods... it like a huge weed in the under story of the forest... don't know what it's called...
I thought about that also when I first seen the sample he brought me, but I thought nahhh no one would plant a weed?

Unless its "weed"

Then God created Women