Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-06-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

SEM, meta title & description question

I'm doing some pay per click advertising with Google and I'm not getting the results I had hoped for on some of my keywords and I'm not sure if it's because my website is mostly pictures and I need more detailed descriptive copy per page or if I need to adjust my title and meta description. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. http://www.wecutgrass.com

I have purposely designed the website to be opposite of what you might think a lawn maintenance website should look like.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecreativedonkey View Post
I'm doing some pay per click advertising with Google and I'm not getting the results I had hoped for on some of my keywords and I'm not sure if it's because my website is mostly pictures and I need more detailed descriptive copy per page or if I need to adjust my title and meta description. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. http://www.wecutgrass.com

I have purposely designed the website to be opposite of what you might think a lawn maintenance website should look like.
Without knowing specifics re: your campaign, it's difficult to give advice, especially in a difficult market such as yours.

While I fully appreciate not wanting your site to look like the "typical" lawn/landscape site, I think you also need to let people know they're visiting the right site. To wit, when I just clicked over to your site, I almost immediately bailed due to the blonde on the skateboard, and you went out of your way to let me know that it would look different. To my eye, it looks more akin to a less-than-legitimate landing page, or directory site, and I wouldn't recommend funneling an AdWords spend in it's direction.

So, with that in mind, what is your AdWords traffic telling you? If I see an ad on Google for lawn mowing, and I decide to click on it, am I going to potentially be confused and leave your site? If you think there is a possibility, no matter how slim, you really should cater to your potential visitor.

Now, in terms of your meta descrip and page titles, those will affect organic search results, not your AdWords conversion. They can impact your landing page quality score, but that's a bit different.

I would definitely flesh out your content as there really isn't much descriptive content or effective keyword use. I would also recommend reading up on basic SEO practices as you really need to ramp that up. You have no H tags, your title tags are all the same, and you could use geo tags and xml site map. Google's Webmaster Tools, SEOMoz both have beginner's guides you might want to look at.

And as I've now been through your entire site, I really don't see the logic in the photography used. I get different. I don't get those. You work in a visual medium, no different than any other artist. Showcase it, or at least give people the visual cues that they're in the right place.

Last edited by tonygreek; 09-06-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Good points Tony, I'll certainly work on it. Thanks for the advice
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I really like what you are trying to do. The site is client oriented- it makes it very clear how they benefit. I like being different, and I understand your desire to stand out.

However, I agree that a couple of the pictures- I would say all the ones with women in them- should go. No models, no skin. A high percentage (getting higher every day) of our potential clients are single women. They realize they are hiring men to come to their house every week. They are looking for a company or individual that they are comfortable with. I don't think most women will get that from the site.

Also, have you considered a dedicated landing page for your Adwords campaign? Check out Matt McGees blog for some great suggestions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point's as well Headz77. Thank you. For adwords I have the ads go to the lawn service page to start and I feel it needs copy work cause I don't think it comes across quickly enough. The main point of my pictures is to come across as people doing fun things in place of having to cut their grass, hence the phrase "giving you time to play." I can see what you mean about a couple of the skin pictures and they probably would be better replaced with either more family related fun things or take Tony's suggestion and replace with more landscape relevant pictures, equally a good point. Thanks for your suggestions and I'll certainly tweak the site over the next few weeks and track the results.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just took a quick peek at your meta tags and all I can say is they are a bit differnet from anything I have seen before.

I do like the concept of what you are trying to do with your site but agree about the girls photos. Don't change them too fast though so I have time to go back and check them out a few more times.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Ha Ha TurboGuy, don't worry the girls shall be up there for a little while until I figure out another direction to test. Do you have a recommendation on meta tags? I'm not fond of my title tag right now, will probably change it rather soon but would be interested in a description suggestion. I've been looking at other local companies tags and there really doesn't seem to be a common thread, some people are all over the map, others repeat the same phrase for each page and some put a phone number in the title. I guess it's just trial and error.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I think you are on to something there - nice, clean, simple direct. I like showing how you do the work so they can play - its fun. I agree with the first post though to a degree. It can be a little confusing and needs a bit of turf texture. Add a very subtle element of grass of turf, maybe as a header or border and it'll play much better. Tags the photos so the engines can identify them. Broader use of synonyms in the meta and keywords.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saboukp View Post
I agree with the first post though to a degree. It can be a little confusing and needs a bit of turf texture. Add a very subtle element of grass of turf, maybe as a header or border and it'll play much better. Tags the photos so the engines can identify them. Broader use of synonyms in the meta and keywords.
His entire lawnsite posting history is in this thread, he hasn't been on the site since 9/12, and he seems to have taken exactly none of the advice, so I'd say this is dead. Glad we all took the time to respond with the requested advice... lol
Old 11-09-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

wow. no wonder his adwords money is being wasted.

people click on the ad and go to... where? surely not where they thought, a lawn care company.

worst. website. ever.

No wait! I was wrong. This is the worst website ever!: http://www.dokimos.org/ajff/