Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
RonAyersMotorsports's Avatar
RonAyersMotorsports RonAyersMotorsports is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer View Post
If most people knew the mark up on this equipment they would rethink the idea that the dealer is getting rich selling it.

I have become friends with my dealer and he showed me the price he pays just to get the equipment in. He is making a whopping $15 on an FS-55 and a max of $80 on a BR-600

Not too much money when you think that Stihl is also charging them shipping on equipment sent to the store. Echo does not and I am not too sure about other brands but Stihl charges for everything they do!

Echo send promo material: i.e. Hats and Tee-shirts for free... Stihl makes the dealer buy an entire case and charges them $6 a piece to get them.

Dealers are not killing it on this stuff, it is the service afterwards that helps keep them going and buying from a competitor is a kick in the teeth to them.
Aimen!!!!!! Finally someone who knows the truth. Thanks!!!

Stihl does give promo material too though. They'll send free hats and even help out and set up at shows and open house.
__________________


Derek's (Me) Personal Equipment

STIHL MS230 C-BE ON WISH LIST!
STIHL HS 45 18" (2008)
STIHL FS 80R (2001)
STIHL SH 86 (2009)
STIHL MM 55 YARD BOSS (2008)
YARD BOSS EQUIPPED W/
EDGER ATTACHMENT/AERATOR/WEIGHT KIT/TILLER
HONDA HRR216VKA (2008)
2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
Better Built 6x12 Trailer
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
alanrnmahler alanrnmahler is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
alan

I am considering an Echo SRM225 or SRM230. I cut three lawns a week so I am usually on the trimmer for about one hour a week. I have heard from some of the local dealers (not Home Depot) that the trimmers that are sold by Home Depot are made with parts that are not made to the exacting specifications as the trimmers they sell. Therefore they will not perform as well as the trimmers that they sell. I have called Echo and have asked them if this was the case and their response was that all the trimmers sold at Home Depot and the local shops are exactly the same units. Can anyone verify this? Is this perhaps just a sales technique by the local dealers to get people to buy from them?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
weaver weaver is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrnmahler View Post
I am considering an Echo SRM225 or SRM230. I cut three lawns a week so I am usually on the trimmer for about one hour a week. I have heard from some of the local dealers (not Home Depot) that the trimmers that are sold by Home Depot are made with parts that are not made to the exacting specifications as the trimmers they sell. Therefore they will not perform as well as the trimmers that they sell. I have called Echo and have asked them if this was the case and their response was that all the trimmers sold at Home Depot and the local shops are exactly the same units. Can anyone verify this? Is this perhaps just a sales technique by the local dealers to get people to buy from them?
Hey buddy i think you already got your answer from Echo.... I bought a srm 210 from HD 4 years ago and still running strong. Besides having to replace the bump heads which that is normal because of all the lawn i mow never any problems... They only sell 2 differnt kinds a California emissions model and a regular 49 state model... Same trimmer,same parts and same warranty as from a dealer. I don't know why some people on here have said that what you where thinking but could not be further from the truth... Now go get your trimmer.....
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Turf Dawg's Avatar
Turf Dawg Turf Dawg is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Texas
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver122876 View Post
Hey buddy i think you already got your answer from Echo.... I bought a srm 210 from HD 4 years ago and still running strong. Besides having to replace the bump heads which that is normal because of all the lawn i mow never any problems... They only sell 2 differnt kinds a California emissions model and a regular 49 state model... Same trimmer,same parts and same warranty as from a dealer. I don't know why some people on here have said that what you where thinking but could not be further from the truth... Now go get your trimmer.....
The trimmer will be the same but not the service. The only time I buy something from there is if the dealer is not open and I need it then.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 PM
weaver weaver is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
The trimmer will be the same but not the service. The only time I buy something from there is if the dealer is not open and I need it then.
Well that's you. I don't know what service you could possibly be referring to. If something small does happen to it they fix it there in there tool rental department.. They also have like 30 or 90 day return if you don't like.. You people must all have great dealer support I guess....
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver122876 View Post
Well that's you. I don't know what service you could possibly be referring to. If something small does happen to it they fix it there in there tool rental department.. They also have like 30 or 90 day return if you don't like.. You people must all have great dealer support I guess....
I never got great service from echo. I've never took anything for repairs or warrenty work. Only change bump heads and filters when i feel like it. I have a srm230 that came from HD. Runs great. I think its 5-6 seasons old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 AM
weaver weaver is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I never got great service from echo. I've never took anything for repairs or warrenty work. Only change bump heads and filters when i feel like it. I have a srm230 that came from HD. Runs great. I think its 5-6 seasons old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well that's me also.. I run the heck out of my echo handheld and luckily I have no problems... So I've never needed dealer support either...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:36 AM
leon2245's Avatar
leon2245 leon2245 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Another great thing about buying from a dealer is that a dealer won't lie to your face to make a sale, or make up BS rather than admit when they don't know something, or lie even when there's no advantage to it, just because. It's just not in s dealer's nature to lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrnmahler View Post
I am considering an Echo SRM225 or SRM230. I cut three lawns a week so I am usually on the trimmer for about one hour a week. I have heard from some of the local dealers (not Home Depot) that the trimmers that are sold by Home Depot are made with parts that are not made to the exacting specifications as the trimmers they sell. Therefore they will not perform as well as the trimmers that they sell. I have called Echo and have asked them if this was the case and their response was that all the trimmers sold at Home Depot and the local shops are exactly the same units. Can anyone verify this? Is this perhaps just a sales technique by the local dealers to get people to buy from them?
That makes a lot of sense actually. I could see echo scrapping together enough of their rejected parts to keep all 2,000+ Home Depots in n. America fully stocked with trimmers & saws etc. Of course echo & hd aren't going to admit this, so consider yourself lucky those dealers trusted you with such privileged inside info!

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
If your comfortable with a 16 year old preping and servicing your equipment buy at HD. If you want to support local businesses like your own with factory trained techs buy from your local dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
SUREYARDS SUREYARDS is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: WHITE BLUFF, TN
Posts: 29
Buy echo trimmer from home depot

I have 5 echo trimmers from home depot---i have local mower dealer put schindawa speed head on them and i have no problems

sureyards---tennessee
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.10051 seconds with 9 queries