Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM HustlerZ View Post
Really, not many Hustlers on the ground in TN? what part do you live in? Exmark is the most popular down here by far. We have a 21 inch X series Exmark.
I see them here usally goes like this.

1.Exmark
2.Scag
3.Hustler Gravely
4. Snapper Pro.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats a Snapper Pro?!
Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Really, not many Hustlers on the ground in TN? what part do you live in? Exmark is the most popular down here by far. We have a 21 inch X series Exmark.
I live 20 miles east of Nashville. Exmarks and John Deeres are on most of the trailers I see.
John Deere 14PZ
Honda HRC 216
Shindaiwa T270, M231 Muliti-Tool & EB802 Stihl MS230 CBE
Echo 210s
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Really, JD Ztrak's aren't very popular around the Metro Atlanta area. What's everyone's opinon on the high end $$$ JD Zero turns??
Scag Pro-V 48
Gravely Pro-Walk FLH 36
Exmark Metro 26
Exmark X series 21
Stihl and Redmax Handhelds
Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm not gonna debate on which is the best, but I'm big in buying made in the USA when possible.

Scag is a division of Metalcraft of Mayville which is a machine shop that makes its own spindles, pulleys, etc. as far as I know they are the only brand that make their own components in the USA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Seriously Landscapers, especially ones in Georgia and the South why does every lawn guy that runs an Exmark Z have to praise them so much over other mowers i.e. Hustler, Scag, Husqvarna.

I know the Exmark Lazer Z is a well-built mower especially for turfgrasses, but geez a Hustler Super-Z or Scag TT will take a beating and still deliver a top-notch cut. I like the feel of the new Husqvarna PZ6034, it's a rugged beast thats really powerful. But every Exmark guy I talk to thinks theirs is the next best thing to sliced bread.....

I've cut with Exmark Lazer Z's a lot over the years, the handling and durability just doesn't compare to Hustler or Scag. What gives? Pricing?
personally I don't find any other brand any better than exmark but yet all the other brands I have access to cost more.

I have access to wright, scag, walker, toro, exmark and john deere. out of all those brands none of them is superior to the other except walkers bagging capabilities. but all those other brands minus toro cost significantly more.

so my choice has been and always will be toro and exmark.

they all produce good, quality cuts from what I've seen but none of them have anything my exmarks and toros have that makes me willing to pay the extra dough.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
Well I'm not gonna debate on which is the best, but I'm big in buying made in the USA when possible.

Scag is a division of Metalcraft of Mayville which is a machine shop that makes its own spindles, pulleys, etc. as far as I know they are the only brand that make their own components in the USA.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah and I love our new Scag Pro-V Hydro 48 walkbehind. Our Ztr is Hustler but we recently got this Scag and it's seriously built like a tank even compared to our ZR7 deck on the Hustler. That velocity 48 deck is awesome
Scag Pro-V 48
Gravely Pro-Walk FLH 36
Exmark Metro 26
Exmark X series 21
Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
personally I don't find any other brand any better than exmark but yet all the other brands I have access to cost more.

I have access to wright, scag, walker, toro, exmark and john deere. out of all those brands none of them is superior to the other except walkers bagging capabilities. but all those other brands minus toro cost significantly more.

so my choice has been and always will be toro and exmark.

they all produce good, quality cuts from what I've seen but none of them have anything my exmarks and toros have that makes me willing to pay the extra dough.
I agree that they all produce quality cuts with the right operator and sharp blades, but I will say that Hustler does have some features that I really like compared to Scag and Exmark. We have 3 main mowers, 1 Hustler XR7 deck, 1 Scag Velocity deck, and 1 Exmark (newest bought this summer). The patented parking breaking handles on the Hustler I think is a great option and will be across the industry in ZTRs after their patent runs out in a few years. Also, I think our Exmark and the others that I've run are much slower in ground speed than Hustler. I'm not trying to argue mowers here but trying to explain maybe why some cost more than others. Our 2 yr. old Hustler also rides a lot smoother with the shock absorbers on the front than our past 2 Exmarks.

The Exmark ztrs are great, just my .02 on the price difference.
Scag Pro-V 48
Gravely Pro-Walk FLH 36
Exmark Metro 26
Exmark X series 21
Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 09-10-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
Gravely also makes almost all components in house including pullies. As far as I know Scag and Gravely are the only ones hand built. Great pride goes into fit and finish for these two companies and it shows in the final product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71HDkS6u1Ic&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 09-10-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree that they all produce quality cuts with the right operator and sharp blades, but I will say that Hustler does have some features that I really like compared to Scag and Exmark. We have 3 main mowers, 1 Hustler XR7 deck, 1 Scag Velocity deck, and 1 Exmark (newest bought this summer). The patented parking breaking handles on the Hustler I think is a great option and will be across the industry in ZTRs after their patent runs out in a few years. Also, I think our Exmark and the others that I've run are much slower in ground speed than Hustler. I'm not trying to argue mowers here but trying to explain maybe why some cost more than others. Our 2 yr. old Hustler also rides a lot smoother with the shock absorbers on the front than our past 2 Exmarks.

The Exmark ztrs are great, just my .02 on the price difference.
guess I'm trying to say the features others offer don't make them superior in my opinion and aren't worth the extra cost.