Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrnmahler View Post
I am considering an Echo SRM225 or SRM230. I cut three lawns a week so I am usually on the trimmer for about one hour a week. I have heard from some of the local dealers (not Home Depot) that the trimmers that are sold by Home Depot are made with parts that are not made to the exacting specifications as the trimmers they sell. Therefore they will not perform as well as the trimmers that they sell. I have called Echo and have asked them if this was the case and their response was that all the trimmers sold at Home Depot and the local shops are exactly the same units. Can anyone verify this? Is this perhaps just a sales technique by the local dealers to get people to buy from them?
Stop worring they are the same...it would be impossible to put out one model number using different quality parts. Get the 230 you will like it. And learn to do simple repairs and you will be fine.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its home depot if you dont like it just return it. Your dealer wont let you do that. I bought a residential lawn boy at home depot it would not start 3 months later. I returned it and the girl said you can have your money back or get another mower. I put 100 with it and got a honda at home depot. I would have been screwed at a dealer. Go for it.
Stihl
9mm
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
Its home depot if you dont like it just return it. Your dealer wont let you do that. I bought a residential lawn boy at home depot it would not start 3 months later. I returned it and the girl said you can have your money back or get another mower. I put 100 with it and got a honda at home depot. I would have been screwed at a dealer. Go for it.
I bought a lawn boy snow thrower a few years ago. It was used. It ran fine then it would bog down for no reason. Took back to dealer. Went through it. Found nothing. Did this several times over a couple months. He gave me a loaner when it snowed. He took it back and I bought a new toro. No problems since. So not all dealers are that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I bought a lawn boy snow thrower a few years ago. It was used. It ran fine then it would bog down for no reason. Took back to dealer. Went through it. Found nothing. Did this several times over a couple months. He gave me a loaner when it snowed. He took it back and I bought a new toro. No problems since. So not all dealers are that.
Posted via Mobile Device
True just all the dealers around here are dicks. I have become a pretty good small engine mechanic just to avoid them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
True just all the dealers around here are dicks. I have become a pretty good small engine mechanic just to avoid them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Most of the small stuff i try not to take it in. Some stuff I won't tackle
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure your mix is good ... 50-1 ... as there's no carb adjustments anymore ... watch the echo 2 stroke mix, as I'm unhappy , using Husky from Grempler's I have a srm265 from 2010 that I think sucks! My 2501 from 89 still rock and rolls though, Bra! Do a compression test on the engine on the used equipment ... before you buy! I've got 15 year old stuff that's like new, bought a 3year old mower as an upgrade and it was in a war zone or something...look at the inside not the out side!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can't say anything about ECHO because I have never used it, but I found this 7 page thread on ECHO:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...cho+home+depot

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Warranty is against defects! If they sold you a trimmer with a defected part. Buy from who ever you want. I guess you guy don't get how it works. It means nothing they don't cover anything. They cry about bad gas and you pay to fix it anyway unless you buy a ton from that dealer he won't go to bat for you.

About dealers yes markup is what it is. If they don't buy enough they don't get a great deal. Just like we can't get fleet prices buying one unit! The financing eats into the mark up. The world works that way. I am sorry but the real money they make is selling you a carb kit them installing it. Or the 5 buck primer bulb then add shop rate to it. I don't give a rats ass if the depot is cutting into their buisness. You need to work for buisness. They need to sell you on buying better ecquiptment. Stuff the box stores don't sell. I would not work with a 230 and know it will cost me time witch is money. If you want a trimmer pick a brand and get at least the second best commercial one they sell. Don't ever buy the entry level comercial trimmer they sell. They are under powered for alot of things you will encounter. The better trimmer is always the way to go because trimming is the most time consuming thing we do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

All the dealers around my area are scammers. I was kicked out of my local dealer because I spoke english! or because I asked too many questions. they wanted my money the first five minutes after I walked in the door. I learned alot on this board and ended up buying online. I plan on ordering parts and doing all my own repairs. I do the same with my automobiles.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Heck no, if you're going to take that kind of a chance the deal's going to have to be a lot sweeter than that, I have been looking a lot into Husqvarna's line of refurbished products which work really good and are about $100 off retail and they're really still almost brand new.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-Li...397#vi-content

Now I find it odd that 223L only has a 24.5cc engine...

Because I just bought the 128LD and it has a 28cc engine...
Which is a bit underpowered for my liking but then I only paid $110 for it:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...urbished-.html