Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
if I had employees my responsibility is not how they manage there money and pay there bills.

if the work is there and they call in sick missing pay days that's there fault. my responsibility is to make a profit at whatever means necessary from year to year so I can keep up the ability to not need cash flowing to me for a whole year.

in my opinion and eyes an employers responsibility is only to pay employees for hours worked when there are hours to be worked and assure they work them in as safe an environment as possible.

it's not an employers responsibility nor concern as to whether the employees have enough money to pay there bills every year.
IF you ever have employees I'd like to see your turn around rate with an attitude like that.... Stick to being solo, some people were meant to have employees and some aren't.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
IF you ever have employees I'd like to see your turn around rate with an attitude like that.... Stick to being solo, some people were meant to have employees and some aren't.
whether I have them or not is irrelevant.

the well fare of your employees is not your responsibility. they are there to get a job done you paid them to do. providing employees with enough money to cover there bills is not an employers responsibility. it's the employees responsibility to work enough hours and save enough money to cover there bills.

never once in my life have I expected someone else to make sure I have enough money to live on. all I've ever expected from my jobs is a pay check for the hours I actually worked. nothing more, nothing less.

I can't help but wonder where you get an idea that as an employer your responsible for your employees financial well being. that it's your job to make sure they have enough money to live off of.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It has nothing to do with being a good employer, it's a smart business move. Try training a new employee every other week and tell me how you are doing from a production stand point. Also how long would you work for someone with a piecemeal schedule? I know for me it wouldn't be long.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
When I worked for other people I missed five days in 6 years. 4 of those was because it was "use it or lose it." Since starting where I am I have missed 1 day in seven years. We hired an kid 2 weeks ago, in ten days he missed 3. Most people should miss no more that 3 days a year (unless of an emergency) I think the mentality has changed about employees where they no longer want to help the company succeed, they just want to roll up 10 min. late, work until 3, collect their check and go home..... Very different from how I was raised to view working.
i feel some of it is due to the fact that they have seen their parents get totally screwed by the places they worked at for a lifetime....and now the kids (or new workforce) has a not happening to me type attitude....
Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of the issues discussed can be avoided in the hiring process. History does repeat itself, if the employee had problems with a prior employer, he will most like repeat the conduct. If he is a job hopper, he doesnt have a good work ethic. If he cant give a good answer to why he wants to work for you , and simply states he needs a job, he is a short timer. I am sure we all hired a lot of people who we knew may not be the best worker, but were desperate for bodies. Not too many people aspire to work cutting grass for twenty years for someone else, they are there for there own particular reason. Get the best out of them while they are there, treat them with respect, and cut the loosers quick
Old 09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Would you guarantee your employees a minimum number of hours per week?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone here provide a 401k match? All the hyper-talk about Employer/Employee made me think we've got some big time corporate type lawn services visiting us peasants here on little-'O-Lawnsite. All the chatter I'm reading you'd most certainly include retirement investment opportunities of some sort for your employees. Maybe, just maybe now we'll all simmer down now that we remember we're not as bigtime as we we're thinking we were.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking I should have skipped that big bowl of Lucky Charms tonight, my wife suggested I'm in a rare mood-
Old 09-12-2012, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
in my opinion you should set yourself up financially so you could afford to miss a whole year of work. then if you only work 7.2 months your not out much.
That's a good thing to have your finances in that much order, but that doesn't excuse the 7.2 vs 8 total man months worked. Even if we all had a year saved up. After 2-3 season of producing 10% under. You would be 30% down.

That's considering the monitory loss. to me a more important problem effected by call in's is the fact something I promised would be completed most likely will not get done. 1 guy on a 3 man crew is 33% of the work force. And it's safe to assume 33% may not get completed that day, or if it is the other crew members end up with a lot of overtime
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.neusbaum View Post
Anyone here provide a 401k match? All the hyper-talk about Employer/Employee made me think we've got some big time corporate type lawn services visiting us peasants here on little-'O-Lawnsite. All the chatter I'm reading you'd most certainly include retirement investment opportunities of some sort for your employees. Maybe, just maybe now we'll all simmer down now that we remember we're not as bigtime as we we're thinking we were.
Posted via Mobile Device
Who said anything about being a big shot?