Register free!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

ok. I thank you guys for all your help.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They say that Potassium is NOT, leached from the soil and may build up to high levels???

That would be interesting to know... They've recently shifted the the idea that P doesn't leach,,, yet now they are highlighting the conditions in which there may be some leaching...

So it would be interesting to know, How, they tested this idea, and whether it is a reliable experiment... so much about fertilizers and pesticides have become politicized that it isn't safe to know anything for sure...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

yes so much stuff has become politicized and the common knowledge amoungst many is not the way to do thing.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if I follow all the back and forth here, but the reason I understand that there is a push to eliminate P is that it does leach into the water supply, although there is a debate about how much of a factor lawns are in the problem. I think the feeling is that since mature turf has very low P needs, a lot of P was being dumped on lawns unnecessarily by including it by default in popular fertilizers, like Scotts Turf Builder. Now, you more or less have to ask for it, by specifically going for "starter" fertilizer. BTW, it's almost impossible to eliminate P from so called "organic/natural" fertilizers, which have really begun to take market share from Scotts and other mass market fert guys. Call me a cynic, but that just may explain why Scotts has now jumped so enthusiastically behind efforts to restrict P.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The thing about P has been around for a few years now, but this is the first that I heard K(potassium) doesn't leach from the soil... is that True???
Old 09-12-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The thing about P has been around for a few years now, but this is the first that I heard K(potassium) doesn't leach from the soil... is that True???
In Florida, under normal rain fall. K won't last more than 10-12 days. The biggest dictator is the soils CEC. Depends on percentage of sand and clay mix. The more clay. The higher the CEC.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

so K doesnt hold as well in clay or it does better?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn2012start View Post
so K doesnt hold as well in clay or it does better?
I believe the higher the cation-exchange capacity. The better the nutrient holding capacity. Clay is high. Sand is low. Then the CEC is based on % of sand to clay ratio. K also leave salt in the soil. Based on these factors. Salt from K can aid in minimizing certain weed species. Not a huge help.... but it will aid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CEC is the determinant in accessibility for nutrients to plants... P is bound to everything as far as I understand it, and under normal circumstances, will not get into the water short of the soil it is bound to, itself, going into the water...

So the difference in leachablility in K: Is it like N which is lost over time when not used in the soil, or is it like P, that needs to be mined from the soil by specialized AM Fungi???

If K is only held to CE sites, like N, then my guess is that it is leachable...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I consider K the most volatile. Unless it's sulfur coated.
Posted via Mobile Device