Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post

Found a nursery locally to get some white ones 4 feet tall for about $35 each and hopefully, unlike the dogwoods that died the Crape Myrtles will uptake iron in the clay soil.
Go online and you can probably find some in 4' range for as little as $8 each.

Look here

http://www.crapemyrtles.com/

I got some 4 years ago and now they are 10 to 12 feet tall, and have been top trimmed to help them form a more wide spreading form. Some are single trunks others double or triple for variety

Plant properly, dig a big hole and amend soil with large amounts or potting soil and some pine bark chips , fertilize and water well the first couple of years and you will see sometimes 3 to 4 feet of growth/year in the first year or two. Trunks on mine now are 3 to 4" in diameter. and we went through an extremely hot and dry summer last year, over 60 days straight over 100 degrees and something like 30" below normal rainfall for the year.. Crepe myrtles are still doing great.

Honestly it is not smart to pay that kind of price. At the time I bought mine I got enough so the price was in the mid $5 each and all had single straight trunks with a diameter about like my little finger. They do grow fast and good, just be sure to keep watered the first year or two.