Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
... These are important things to understand... just understand there is a more important wealth of knowledge that can help someone to surpass that mechanical stuff. How about this. If you pay attention to the environment more. You just might notice how some neighborhoods seem to be infested with webworms and others not. Webworms love short dense potato vine...alot! You might find that neighborhoods with more potato vine surrounding there area or in there area have much less turfgrass activity. One small example of all the tools available that don't cost $ or that needs to be applied. Their are alot of them! These things help you to master the mechanical side. Your landscape can't talk, but it sure knows sign language. Understanding you're landscapes signing is key. Like being able to have you're race horse run the race without a jockey and win. It's possible. You just need to know more about horses than jockeys.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is an excellent way of putting it... here we have various eco-systems that define , How things grow in this nieghborhood... we have high ground, slopes, low land, near the water, away from the water, trees, terraces, fullsun, irrgation, topsoil added, no topsoil added, East facing, West facing,,, the list goes on...

We have so much, "One Size Fits All" chatter,,, that its almost impossible to get any thoughts in about what the soil may be doing, inspite of what we might be doing at the surface...
Thanks for not being a Lemming...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One day. My family and I visited a theme park that happened to be the same day the entire deaf population decided to show up. It was fairly quite....but when you looked around, man everyone was signing like madd. Like if I understood signing. It would be loud as hell. Well everything was normal until someone needed my help. I was lost I found out. I didn't understand signing.

The day I graduated from environmental signing class. Was the day my world as a tech changed. I get it know. WOW so much more made sense. Labels and products can provide none of this learning....but learning this will undoubtedly teach you more about your products & labels and how it really ties together.

You'll know when YOU graduate from this course because you won't have to ask advice anymore. Cause you understand sign.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by turfmd101; 09-14-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The more I thought about it. The way I said that sounds kooky.

Here's something you won't find in a book or find in someones teachings. I don't believe its common knowledge.

There was a time when azalea caterpillars tore threw azalea foliage every early summer. I don't believe they are much of a problem for anyone these days but let me tell ya. You could visit an account one week...azaleas look great. The next week. They look like stick bush. Big fat catts eating so much there's poop balls laying around like dark granules of fert. You had to soak with orthene to get control.

Now what you might not know.
After azaleas have dropped their blooms and flush out new growth. Certain things in the environment happen that have to be self taught which let you know its time to watch for something.
On a strong wind day. Watch azaleas blow around in the wind. Look for the bright white cottony stuff spread around underneath random pieces of foliage. If you saw more than 5-10 pods. This would be eggs laid. Walk threw you're azaleas pulling off these pieces of foliage. You will miss some but you know, in a few weeks the ones you missed will hatch and the babies will be clustered together and look like a fat cigar pushed down onto a stick. Simply prune out the little cluster and your potential problem with these azaleas has ended. No treatment needed. No recovery needed.
This kind of thing is always happening with most pest and pest is not only insects. This is part of understanding signing. Once you can't NOT see these signings. Products and labels will be of less importance and you're conversations will change. You can't learn THIS STUFF in a classroom or auditorium. I will even bet you every teacher you have ever listened to knows not of this. To add to that. There is a book load of these things I could talk about. When you can. You'll know sign.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by turfmd101; 09-14-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its like walking barefoot across the lawn and feeling the soil and smiling... or... feeling the soil and saying, "Water now"...
I can understand why lawns that are watered everyday, are hard-packed and dusty when mowed 3 hrs later... but I can't relate that concept to the clients... and even after years of adding more and more topsoil, they continue to imagine 'sand' under the grass...

I think it has everything to do with worldview... the difference between a world of living creatures all affecting one anothers' living conditions either for good or bad, and comparing that to the PlayStation World of the most sophisticated of human technology imaginable... Perhaps technology has taken away the sense of being part of the living world...
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is an excellent way of putting it... here we have various eco-systems that define , How things grow in this nieghborhood... we have high ground, slopes, low land, near the water, away from the water, trees, terraces, fullsun, irrgation, topsoil added, no topsoil added, East facing, West facing,,, the list goes on...

We have so much, "One Size Fits All" chatter,,, that its almost impossible to get any thoughts in about what the soil may be doing, inspite of what we might be doing at the surface...
Thanks for not being a Lemming...
I believe the inventing of the program in a random situation is the adopted failed practice.

Successful way to mow; walk behind your hydro and guide its successful paths.

Unsuccessful way to mow; set the throttle, set the ground speed, point in a direction and let it go and DEAL.

The difference between program and successful manipulation.

IMO. If someone has to use an exhausting amount of science to correct their situation. They have some serious problems and should drop what their doing. In my experience. There are just a small handful of things that cause cultural issues. There are no mysteries. Stop overlooking the obvious to try and discover them. The same 5 things always happen ...just in different sequences. LEARN THE SEQUENCES!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Another good example, and you're right... there's only a few things that generally go wrong and we should come to know them intimately... once we reach the basis for what happening then every supposition that's built on that base generates understanding...

Books seem to be a good place to store data, and when used sensibly that data can become useful information... working with the information over a period time gets one experience... wise reflection over past experiences eventually leads to understanding...

Some people jump the gun,,, and assume that they gained understanding from the book...
Old 09-16-2012, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that sir, is well said!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smallaxe, you're a gentlemen and a scholar. I'd swear you wear a tux now and then when you post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is great fun to be able to talk about landscape and lawn care as an interaction of living things and dynamic eco-systems in an ever changing balance... too often our discussions carry on as though laying sod is the same a laying carpet or starting seed just means water, water, and Starter fert, no matter what the soil is...

I appreciate that the conversation went in the direction it did... thanks guys...
Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

OP - Larry is gone, chased off I'm afraid.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13