Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Member

48" bunton walk behind??

Looking at buying a 48" Bunton walk behind. It is for personal use for my yard and few friends property. It is used and supposedly has a new Kaw 420v motor. Im a little skeptical on whether the motor is new or not but if it runs fine I am fine with that. It is gear driven, looks well used but not junk from the pics. A friend has a snapper with the same engine and he is terrible about maint but after 15 years mowing his 2 acre yard it still runs fine, so I have lots of respect for that motor. My main question would be for any little things that are problematic on these. Any gear boxes to avoid or something like that. He wants 500 bucks which sounds pretty good to me but wanted to hear what you guys think. Again it is for personal use, I am tired of working on my craftsman rider every time I mow the yard. Thanks in advance for any info. Got a call as I am posting. He says if I can get it off his property tomorrow he can take 350. The engine pulleys are still on the old engine, so doesnt really look like I can test it out. Im hoping I can at least run the motor as that is the most expensive thing. I can weld so some damage is ok, I also helped friend build his velke so that is not a problem.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess this means I cant really test the gear box other than shifting it through the gears. Are these pretty bulletproof? How much does one cost? Are the internals fairly easy to buy individualy if there is a problem with one. Im fairly mechanical and can get help to fix it if need be I just have never seen the internals of a lawn mower gear box. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

assuming the mower is belt driven if the gears work, they will work. it will run you about 500 to replace the transmission so check the gears. not work the effort to rebuild one.

the engine if it does not burn gas buy it.
they were made to last, and stopped making them because they were work horses that could be abused. they rest should be all standard
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. My brother worked for a landscape company in the mid 90's and they used Bunton mowers. Im sure there are more bells and whistles out now days but being this is for personal use I know it will be all the mower I will need. Set the height and forget it. Once I get it up to par I figure it should last me many many years with little work other than routine maint. Like said before just tired of junk big box store mowers. krzys555, Did you mean if it does not burn oil buy it? Is this a problem with the Kaw or just good general rule?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfpcola View Post
Thanks for the input. My brother worked for a landscape company in the mid 90's and they used Bunton mowers. Im sure there are more bells and whistles out now days but being this is for personal use I know it will be all the mower I will need. Set the height and forget it. Once I get it up to par I figure it should last me many many years with little work other than routine maint. Like said before just tired of junk big box store mowers. krzys555, Did you mean if it does not burn oil buy it? Is this a problem with the Kaw or just good general rule?
it is good as a general rule, it is not a problem with the kawi.
these engines are older and it is harder to get parts, unless you have a great dealer/mechanic
they stopped making them
once it starts to burn oil, it is time to consider a upgrade.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys555 View Post
. not work the effort to rebuild one.
Dont know where you got your information but this isnt true, ive rebuilt dozens of them and the parts are not that expensive.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys555 View Post
it is good as a general rule, it is not a problem with the kawi.
these engines are older and it is harder to get parts, unless you have a great dealer/mechanic
they stopped making them
once it starts to burn oil, it is time to consider a upgrade.
What?! You can still get parts for his engine no problem. I cant say if it would be worth short blocking the engine vs getting a new one.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys good or bad I am the new owner of a Bunton mower. Turns out it is a new engine. New as in I still have to install the carb pulleys and muffler from the old engine before I can even break it in!! It has the FC 420V Kaw, with a Spicer PL 4890 tranny. The old engine has a hole in the block in can stick my fist through without scrubbing. It is what I would call the bottom end(side opposite the piston) though the crank seems to all be intact, dont know what happened there. I did not ask many questions as it is late and the whole deal was done well after dark so I did not even notice the hole in the block till I got home to some better lights. Tranny lever seems to shift through the gears fine although this may not mean that it is good but my main concern was the motor which like I said is brand new never run! Looking at the tranny, I found a sticker that reads 1996 along with some other markings. I assume that is about the year this mower was made. Glad to be a new member here. I have read many reviews on here through the months as I watched C list for a good deal on a good quality mower. For $350 I think I have found one!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds good! That motor is worth at least 350 so you did great on it

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Already got it running. All the other guy did was bolt the new short block on so I un bolted it and degreased the deck. Swapped the pulleys and muffler over to new engine then reinstalled engine. Cleaned carb and installed with new air filter. Installed new fuel line and filter. Wrapped rope around top of flywheel and it fired right up. I am missing the "dogs" that sling out to grab the cup on the engine so will have to get them this week. Could have got them today but really wanted to see it run before I put money into all the odds and ends. One problem I am having is when I engage the blades they wont disengage, but I think I will start another thread for that question. Overall I am very very happy with my purchase.