Register free!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What program do you use
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you decorating a sign with plants, or are you designing a landscape? There are flag poles and presumably other things around this that impact the appearance of that sign. Back up 50' and snap another picture. Look to see how you can influence that sign in the bigger landscape.

The term for the type of design in all the examples shown is what is known as "the pubic effect" where you put vegetation around the subject.

The first thing you should look to affect is to draw importance to the wall that the letters are on. A wall with fill in front of it reduces it. Open space, particularly a paved area (like a circle paver area) where people see a place where they could be (not that they go there) makes them project themselves there which strongly draws their attention to the front of the sign.
You reinforce that with vegetation that supports that space. Plantings that come from the sign and wrap part way around that space in front of the sign. If you want to use walls, use them next to the sign to stengthen the sign as the center of the composition. The examples shown by others above are convex which de-emphasize the sign. The example I described is concave which pulls the attention to the sign.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i like the first design pic...maybe just go one block high?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

AGLA is on the right track, although I would not do a paver area. The area is too small for several different varieties of plants, your eye would simply have to jump around too much and that would detract from the intention of the sign.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Consider a low half circle boxwood(or low hedge plant of your choice) hedge for structure instead of the wall, two groupings of red knockout roses(toward the ends as to not interfere with the lettering) behind the hedge would draw your eye in to the sign and soften it at the same time, while offering balance as well. Knockouts will get 36"-48" tall so placement is crucial.
The suggestion to take a pic from further away is a good idea.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

The idea by alexschultz1 to put taller arbs on either end is also a good one, that brings height and anchors both ends of the sign, this will also help to bring the tall thin flagpoles into the design.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexschultz1 View Post
definatly not my best work... but im tired and catching a buzz because of the vacation tomorrow. Let me know if im headed in the right direction, this is a hobby of mine so i dont mind getting some helpful criticism

I like this one more,it has more color to it. Its a eye catcher
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this thread is old, but since it was brought back up i will add my .02...a few things i see...

1.) first and foremost, is there irrigation? i doubt it...and if not, you have to have a completely different mindset on plants

2.) great point about the flag poles, that is one of the first things i noticed, you have to incorporate them with the sign

3.) i wouldn't do any hardscaping...cool concept and all, but that will only raise the bed and inevitably cover the lettering with growing plants...

4.) i'm guessing since the flag poles have to be lit they went ahead and put lights on the sign as well...plant placement will be key, don't want to cover the lights or potentially cover them

arborvitae's are one of my favorite's to plant if i can make it work...great idea, i just doubt they survive, this landscape in my opinion will most likely be neglected, maybe cleaned up once or twice a year...plants that i have in mind right off the top of my head are:

- Maiden Grass on each side of the sign...my favorite are the larger fountain grasses
- barberry
- some sort of evergreen shrub, not too big

this will give you a lower maintenance year round color landscape...that's all i've got for now
Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Member

what software are you using to make the design?