Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-16-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Grass Packer that I use on my JD 717A, 48" ZTR. I use it very sparingly, and was a good solution for my needs. I intended to use it very little, and that has been the case.

Yes, it is very durable. It empties easy. It does fully fill like I would like, but the issue is minor.

As to Richard's point, during dry, dusty conditions, it will spit out small debris toward the mower. Other than a cloth bagger with a large backing plate, what other catcher does not spit out small debris from the holes toward the mower? The more small debris that isn't held in the bagger, the better.

Have said some good things, I would not consider the side bagger idea for substantial amount of bagging. For my 48" mower, it fills quickly, and takes time to stop, off/dump/on, etc. It is not a good solution for high volume bagging, including leaf pickup. Since I had no requirement for high-volume bagging, the less expensive Grass Packer was the best solution.

I do have a Gobbler for my 36" w/b, and it works well. If I was going to replace the Gobbler, I would go for the Grass Packer in a minute.