Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
But once the market becomes saturated with competition - its more work than its worth, let the others beat each other up on prices. Countless hrs meeting with dead end clients, doing dean end designs, etc etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
I feel this is the "landscape" industry as a whole. The 80's & 90's were the landscaping days where contractors made a lot of money, or at least made what they should. The maintenance side is probably the worst. But like you said the market is saturated and is probably ending the "easy money" days of landscaping. You said it can be done with determination, but as you also said is it worth all that time and effort you WILL need to put in. You want to be able to say yes but that thought in the back of your head won't leave.

I think in order to get better clientele you need to be doing things the average person/client and Joe Mow cannot. Such as your getting into excavating. I'm sure there are issues too but the average person isn't hopping into a large excavator or bulldozer and makin things happen. Or find customers who have been burned before who will pay money or the well informed who are willing to pay for getting it right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got the poly sand in and am "done" with the patio. Just need to fill in around the patio and walk, then take care of the removed soil that we filled a depression with. I'm definitely more confident if another project comes my way. Also I know all the mistakes I made here so I can improve upon it. Such as picking a good block and pattern to eliminate LONG bond lines. Working on learing to cut curves, walkway and stair treads, doh! Making sure that the base is VERY level (still trying to figure out how). And all those small things that make the project turn out better. Thanks for all the help, encouragement, product bashing, and general nonsense.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you man. We have all had our "first job", your just having yours now. You obviously know your mistakes, and that curve on the walkway, ouch.... Maybe now is a good time to practice and redo that part!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
and that curve on the walkway, ouch....
Ha! my thoughts exactly!! I was rushing too much at the end too. Time crunches are NEVER good.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

What's up with the top step at the door? Why did you leave a trip hazard at the entrance of the home? Was that poor planning, or done on purpose?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely planning issues. I'm not trying to make excuses but with a first hardscape that included

Walkway
Large Patio that needed to be built to a specified height to make sure the pool railings were at 48"
Stairs

There was a lot that I didn't account for, mainly I think because I just didn't know well enough. But this entire project has opened my eyes to the incredible amount of detail needed in the prep work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

wow just saw the stair treads on the curve, is that all poly sand!?!

definitely an ambitious first project and not trying to knock you but damn...
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
wow just saw the stair treads on the curve, is that all poly sand!?!

definitely an ambitious first project and not trying to knock you but damn...
First step (bottom one) the curve has three pieces of cut cap to fill in that step. I'll see if I can find a dry picture. The second step(middle) has poly sand in that joint.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just don't use allan block again, this isn't about saving money its about building a hardscape project that will last years. Unfortuneatly this one may not.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

alldayrj, look back to post #74 and you can see the bottom step with the pieces in it.