Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-17-2012, 02:35 AM
LawnSite Member

It's your time to vent!

I'm doing a research project on the lawn and landscaping industry and I'm looking for feedback on something a bit unusual ...

What are the MOST ANNOYING and TIME CONSUMING parts of your business?

Could be things like "dealing with unrealistic clients" or "driving across town to put in a bid ... just to realize the customer is just 'shopping for quotes' " or whatever.

I appreciate any and all feedback!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Governement. Too many forms.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Governement. Too many forms.
I agree, and I also can't stand doing an estimate for a cheapskate.

Junk in lawns, crap lawns, non paying customers, complainers...the list goes on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

People that don't pick up dog waste, or people that know your going to be there and leave 7 millions toys on the lawn.

I love it when there is a severe drought, no rain and hot temps and when the lawn goes brown it must have been what I put on there lawn.

Now that we are aerating and overseeding I am poking holes in irrigation systems where the pipe was pulled at 1 to 2 inches, somehow that is my fault? Wtf
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

personally I don't think there is ANYTHING to vent about.

if you are in this industry, you chose to be. you also choose who you have as clients and who you give bids to.

you don't like clients who don't pick up after there dogs, don't work for those clients or make a policy for it. you get aggravated by price shoppers, find a way to screen for that over the phone so your not driving around giving estimates to those people.

I guess after I'm into this post I have one vent. it's all the people who vent.

some of the complaints I've come across on this site amazes me. people really get annoyed by giving an estimate to a price shopper??? the only way to get business is to give an estimate and you can't expect people to only get an estimate from you and then hire you. not to mention the price of anything whether it be service from an LCO or a package of toilet paper is very important to most everyone and should be. I don't blame anyone for looking for the cheapest price they can find.

we are all hired largely by our price. I have yet to have someone call me up and say they've seen my quality of work and want to hire me to do there lawn. everyone wants to know the price and the price is what decides for them whether they hire you or not.

I know I get at least 2 estimates for any service I purchase. I check out at least 2 stores when buying products.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Other service providers doing inferior services for my customers. It's like humble1 says the results are always somehow my fault.

The most recent is a landscaper who installed "landscape mounds" with conifers. They installed steep mounds that are difficult to mow with a hand mower! And the trees are all on the sloped section so all mulch will get washed out with the rain. I approached the customer about mulching the entire mound and they declined, imaginging lush grassed mounds with trees rising up out of the turf. It's not going to be that way. It's going to look more like it was chewed down by goats! And it's going to be my fault because I can't keep that piece of crap looking decent.
I don't do installs but I may have to start.
Like I really didn't want to do chemical apps. Then I met a guy who kept weeds out of mulched traffic islands with soil sterilant. It worked well but it killed the crabapple trees growing there. Of course by the time the trees died he was long gone. And I know he did this because he told me he did. When I said to him that it would kill the trees he replied, "It's an annual contract." He knew he'd be gone before the trees died!
Another was an applicator who keept the weeds out of a gravel lot with Roundup. Twice a year regular as clockwork. Milking my customer like they were a Jersey cow! This was where they needed sterilant.
Why my concern? Because all of this comes out of the customer's maintenance budget. So when they want to trim the budget who do they come to? The biggest expense, me the mowing contractor. That plus I'm the only one left because everyone else has taken the money and run!
I am sick and tired of getting left holding the bag!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
personally I don't think there is ANYTHING to vent about.

if you are in this industry, you chose to be. you also choose who you have as clients and who you give bids to.

you don't like clients who don't pick up after there dogs, don't work for those clients or make a policy for it. you get aggravated by price shoppers, find a way to screen for that over the phone so your not driving around giving estimates to those people.

I guess after I'm into this post I have one vent. it's all the people who vent.

some of the complaints I've come across on this site amazes me. people really get annoyed by giving an estimate to a price shopper??? the only way to get business is to give an estimate and you can't expect people to only get an estimate from you and then hire you. not to mention the price of anything whether it be service from an LCO or a package of toilet paper is very important to most everyone and should be. I don't blame anyone for looking for the cheapest price they can find.

we are all hired largely by our price. I have yet to have someone call me up and say they've seen my quality of work and want to hire me to do there lawn. everyone wants to know the price and the price is what decides for them whether they hire you or not.

I know I get at least 2 estimates for any service I purchase. I check out at least 2 stores when buying products.
We know you live in a perfect world...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Other service providers doing inferior services for my customers. It's like humble1 says the results are always somehow my fault.

The most recent is a landscaper who installed "landscape mounds" with conifers. They installed steep mounds that are difficult to mow with a hand mower! And the trees are all on the sloped section so all mulch will get washed out with the rain. I approached the customer about mulching the entire mound and they declined, imaginging lush grassed mounds with trees rising up out of the turf. It's not going to be that way. It's going to look more like it was chewed down by goats! And it's going to be my fault because I can't keep that piece of crap looking decent.
I don't do installs but I may have to start.
Like I really didn't want to do chemical apps. Then I met a guy who kept weeds out of mulched traffic islands with soil sterilant. It worked well but it killed the crabapple trees growing there. Of course by the time the trees died he was long gone. And I know he did this because he told me he did. When I said to him that it would kill the trees he replied, "It's an annual contract." He knew he'd be gone before the trees died!
Another was an applicator who keept the weeds out of a gravel lot with Roundup. Twice a year regular as clockwork. Milking my customer like they were a Jersey cow! This was where they needed sterilant.
Why my concern? Because all of this comes out of the customer's maintenance budget. So when they want to trim the budget who do they come to? The biggest expense, me the mowing contractor. That plus I'm the only one left because everyone else has taken the money and run!
I am sick and tired of getting left holding the bag!
That drives me nuts also.

People will ask you why their lawn has problems and why shrubs are dying, meanwhile the true green truck is spraying everything...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dealers tend to drive me nuts also.
I give them a part # and they ask for the model # of the machine. They dont stock anything, but are happy to order stuff from the same place you do for twice the cost.
They park their personal vehicles in such a way its nearly impossible to get my box truck in and out of the parking lot.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

There's the usual that I think annoys everyone to some degree
Dog crap that sneaks up out of nowhere!, lawns cluttered with random stuff, slow payers etc...etc...

my real kicker:
TruGreen, Scotts, Lawn Doctor, or any of those big chain guys who are milking a couple of my clients. I had a TruGreen guy the a month back on a site right when I was showing up. He kept telling me he was putting down a granular application and to just mow when he left. Couldn't tell me what he had put down or what it was for, had absolutely no clue. He was zipping around the property with no sense of purpose, no mask, no glasses, no gloves etc...I've tried almost everything to get this girl to switch; I even called TruGreen to report it (seemed to give 2 s***s) luckily most of my clients have gotten the idea and switched to a couple local guys who I know are responsible with their treatments. Those ^^ guys care nothing about a property only $$$

Tags
annoying customers , daily , pains , research