Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Aerating and Seeding Question

Newb here with a question about aerating and seeding. This morning I aerated my lawn with a core aerator. I've heard after doing so that it's a great time to overseed your lawn. My question is, with it being so early in the fall and a good possibility that I'm going to have to mow a few more times, when is the best time to overseed? Since I'm overseeding do the rules still apply that I need to let the seed germinate before mowing or can I mow before? I don't want to go out and seed and then mow in a week or two to have it all for nothing. Also, should I mow my lawn short before I seed to allow for a better chance for the seed to get down to the soil? Thanks for any and all help!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Opinions vary...I suggest overseed now. The new seed will work its way down to the soil after you water. And you have to seed now when soil temps are high--after it cools off--germination is very slow, and the new grass grows very slowly. Do not worry about mowing newly overseeded grass. The new grass will not be tall enough for the blade to hit it for about 4 to 6 weeks. When the time is right and new grass is tall--cutting it will not hurt it.

Are you in Bermuda grass country? Transition zone? Bluegrass country? Try to seed 6 weeks before frost--8 weeks before frost is better, if you can water it.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is your entire lawn in need of new seed??? Usually you'll just fill in the bare spots...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a guy in town that is mowing the yard as low as he can and then all he is doing is aerifying and seeding. I don't see any benefits of doing this unless you were going to slit seed but he is only aerifying. what do yall think
Old 09-17-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I suggest mow short and use double the usual amount of seed. For quick germination, start now while the soil temperature is still in the 60 to 70 range. Start 6 weeks before frost.