Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:13 PM
lbrtulsa lbrtulsa is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 3
paying on production

So I'm wondering if paying on production is applicable to lawn care? Some say when you pay on production you get production without quality.... But I looks as if you could implement certain sad guards like you get your production pay if we have no return work... Give me you thoughts???
__________________
Randy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 PM
grandview (2006)'s Avatar
grandview (2006) grandview (2006) is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lancaster N.Y.
Posts: 3,474
So to abuse this all you need to say is I got a complaint call,no pay for you.
__________________
www.grandviewlandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 AM
lbrtulsa lbrtulsa is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 3
paying on production

If thats the way I operated then your assumption would be correct. However your ASSUMPTION is incorrect. Thanks for your input but lack of advice.
__________________
Randy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 AM
grandview (2006)'s Avatar
grandview (2006) grandview (2006) is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lancaster N.Y.
Posts: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrtulsa View Post
If thats the way I operated then your assumption would be correct. However your ASSUMPTION is incorrect. Thanks for your input but lack of advice.
Please give more info. Are they getting a base pay and bonus if no complaints? Or are you basing their pay on production only and if they get call back then no pay. Either why my post is the same. Get a complaint ,no pay.
__________________
www.grandviewlandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I am afraid there could be quality problems and less eye for detail when you pay piece meal. You can also get into some problems if crews think one route is better or worse than another. Also they get to where all they want to do it mow and not do other jobs.

I think a complex bonus system is better.

Include things like
Production goals
Complaints
Compliments
Equipment care
Profit

Should all be in the mix.
Provide some info on how bonuses are given but not an exact formula. You do not want workers knowing exactly so they do not learn how to game the system.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I think a complex bonus system is better.


Provide some info on how bonuses are given but not an exact formula. You do not want workers knowing exactly so they do not learn how to game the system.


Complex is never better. Complex is never even good. Complex means more more work/time to do something. Complex is only bad.

No exact formula the employees are going to think that the boss is out to "game" them out of there money.

A business owner has to do what works out best easiest for him.
Hourly, salary, piece work, base guarantee + commission, commission.

I have a friend come out one day a week he gets $10 a lawn. These lawns are under 1/3 acre or less. Sometimes I'm not loaded up before he gets there he helps. End of day he helps to unload and clean up. We don't rush to get done faster. We don't cut corners. Travel time is not a factor.

Now if I was to get larger lawns I would have to pay more him more on those. Pay would have to reflect the size of the lawn to be fair.
$10 on a $30-$35 is fair. $10 would not be fair on an $72 lawn.


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Complex is never better. Complex is never even good. Complex means more more work/time to do something. Complex is only bad.

No exact formula the employees are going to think that the boss is out to "game" them out of there money.

A business owner has to do what works out best easiest for him.
Hourly, salary, piece work, base guarantee + commission, commission.

I have a friend come out one day a week he gets $10 a lawn. These lawns are under 1/3 acre or less. Sometimes I'm not loaded up before he gets there he helps. End of day he helps to unload and clean up. We don't rush to get done faster. We don't cut corners. Travel time is not a factor.

Now if I was to get larger lawns I would have to pay more him more on those. Pay would have to reflect the size of the lawn to be fair.
$10 on a $30-$35 is fair. $10 would not be fair on an $72 lawn.


you sound like you pau piecemeal... I do not. I pay more than the median wages in my area. Guys are with more close to 7 years. Not gaming anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Provide some info on how bonuses are given but not an exact formula. You do not want workers knowing exactly so they do not learn how to game the system.

Here you are advocating playing games.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
you sound like you pau piecemeal... I do not. I pay more than the median wages in my area. Guys are with more close to 7 years. Not gaming anyone.

Now you say you don't.



Years a go I worked as a mechanic. Got a weekly guarantee min. salary. When I did not bill out much labor I got my min, and when my 45% of the billable labor hours was greater then the min. I got my 45%. So if I produced $1,000 I earned $450. Straight forward to figure out.

I stand by keeping all systems simple as possible.
Being straight.

Piece meal works for me because I do not have 40 hrs a week of work.
Paying based on the job works for me because it reflects the cost of doing that job.

Paying say per hr the labor costs do not reflect the cost of any actual job.
Same for weekly salary.

Example:
Monday 8hr day, 1hr drive time, 7hr production
Tuesday 8hr D, 2hr DT, 6hr P
Wednesday 8hr D .75hr DT, 7.25hr P
Etc....
Etc....

As one can see prodution time varies from day to day. So salary costs can only be an average of actual production costs.

Again business size, number of accounts and employees, and anything else will make one system best for them.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
knox gsl's Avatar
knox gsl knox gsl is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 3,685
This is how I would do a larger mow only operation. Base of min wage. Then pay each guy so much per stop based on the gross of that one property. If any call backs that needs to be on them but the min wage clock is running. You will need to do some spot checks to be sure they are on their A game but you could use a system like this and it would work for most operations. The reason I said min wage on the clock is because they should be getting that by law. They can choose to make more if they want to and in the mean time they could do more with less equipment while keeping the quality up. You also wouldn't have to worry to much about overtime in this setup as per stop rate should be high enough that they would make more on it than on min wage plus overtime. Basicly they are guaranteed any hours on min wage but could make more on a per stop basis if they work efficently.
__________________
I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really fast.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Here you are advocating playing games.







Now you say you don't.



Years a go I worked as a mechanic. Got a weekly guarantee min. salary. When I did not bill out much labor I got my min, and when my 45% of the billable labor hours was greater then the min. I got my 45%. So if I produced $1,000 I earned $450. Straight forward to figure out.

I stand by keeping all systems simple as possible.
Being straight.

Piece meal works for me because I do not have 40 hrs a week of work.
Paying based on the job works for me because it reflects the cost of doing that job.

Paying say per hr the labor costs do not reflect the cost of any actual job.
Same for weekly salary.

Example:
Monday 8hr day, 1hr drive time, 7hr production
Tuesday 8hr D, 2hr DT, 6hr P
Wednesday 8hr D .75hr DT, 7.25hr P
Etc....
Etc....

As one can see prodution time varies from day to day. So salary costs can only be an average of actual production costs.

Again business size, number of accounts and employees, and anything else will make one system best for them.

You seem to have mechanic work mixed up with lawn care. Two different creatures. Mechanics / body shops have well documented production rates for which items are to be billed.

So how do you calculate the piecemeal rate on different jobs. How do you keep some crews from thinking someone got the sweet easy job. How do you keep them motivated to doing jobs that do not pay as well but have to be done?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 PM.

Page generated in 0.07611 seconds with 9 queries