Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Muffler broke!

my muffler broke after only 40hrs of use, the ''strap'' that runs above the exhaust tube and welds on to the actual muffler can broke at the muffler. looks to me like a poor design and/or bad welding. i'd assume the strap is there to act as a heat shield, now all it does is vibrate against the muffler and make a rattling noise. guess i'll be getting it into the shop over the winter and get that replaced under warranty, would it be a kawasaki thing or a wright issue? i'm using it too much right now i can't let it sit in the shop for a week before someone gets around to fixing it.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Is this on your RH?

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes, the 36'' with 18hp kawasaki. I'm not mad about it I just thought you might want to know about what appears to me could be a potential issue with others. we all know mufflers tend to rust more quickly than other things, and that strap is only held on by 2 little spot welds just seems like a prime candidate for breaking. again i'm not sure if thats a kawasaki or a wright issue or if you've ever even seen it happen before. the muffler is still held on by the bracket so its not going anywhere, just makes a bunch of noise with that thing vibrating. not sure if there's anything that can be done really, its my only mower right now and i can't chance being without it more than a day or two at the moment. i'm actually quite pleased with the mower now that i've had the chance to test out some different blades.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

We have seen this issue from stress and how it was welded was changed, I will say the "2 little spot welds" is a red flag for an incomplete weld process it should have been welded more then that, those were just to set the position. It is our issue as it is an in house exhaust and should be replaced under warranty.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

basically the corners are beveled on it and its just tacked on those bevels. if you're standing on the mower its the one on right side of muffler. all other bolts holding it on were tight, my guess like you said was incomplete weld process, the muffler hasn't ever been hit or anything.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well now the other side broke today...is there any way you can send me a new muffler or arrange for my local dealer to weld it up in less than a day? i can't be without it any longer than that and if i know my local dealer they'll sit on it for a week. i don't care if it gets a new muffler or not just welded is fine with me, it's loud and annoying having to listen to it vibrate all the time
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Go to our website in the contact area and sent an email to our service folder with a mailing address and we will send a new muffler directly to you.

Best Regards
Wrigth Mfg.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

awesome, that'd be great
Old 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is why I love wright and will buy from them again in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

agreed, they've been pretty helpful with any issues i've had or questions regarding the mower. once i discovered high lifts i've had no issues with cut quality or anything. i just don't particularly care for my local dealer after hearing many horror stories, i actually bought it from a dealer about an hour away and they were great but i just can't be without it for a few days, about every day after work i've got calls from people needing lawns mowed