Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Member

The first thing you're gonna need is a lawn mower!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

You can always start like this guy I saw the other day. Push mower, 1 gal gas can on top of mower, transportation = guy pushing mower. Not a whole lot of over head there
Old 09-18-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I see a business going broke before Memorial Day.

Wants to buy all equipment at once, payroll for two employees, pay himself, and does not have any customers.

Usually the LCO that is starting out that posts here takes a few years before he gets enough customers to need one full time helper.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Guessing the guy already started and folded up shop. Thread is over a year old!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Have been having some fun with a local guy who began by financing a new setup to the tune of about 15kand my local paper he started trying to talk to some of my clients and a friends and he told them he would beat the price they get from any licensed lco by ten percent. When I learned of this I drew up a little contract for them to get him to sign agreeing to do weekly for one year on these terms. He quoted 65 for 38 cuts to one and 75 for 40 to a second. Dang fool signed contract with the 10 percent provision stating that contract price, not term would automatically adjust if another licensed lco offers in writing an offer to provide the service for less than the contract price. Price he quoted was 10 percent below what I was charging and I have my daughter who helps and owe nothing. The day after guy jumped to sign with both I dropped my price to 10$ each per service and they called and told him the would begin paying the new rate of 9$ per service next cut. Guy calls me yesterday and tells me I can't do this and I told him he may consider a business class and reminded him that the one he will lose the most on is the son of a federal judge who I church with and how he can eat the loss and quit messing with me and my friend or not do the jobs and I will buy the equipment from my friends when he loses them in court.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Sponsor

Looking to start Lawn Mowing Services what should I start off with??

I would use all Exmark and Stihl. You should also start a website and use acculawnsystem.com to give instant online quotes through your website. You can drive customers to your website by passing out flyers. You also have the option to email instant quotes to a customer. See what the homeowner sees at Acculawncare.com.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Guessing the guy already started and folded up shop. Thread is over a year old!
Posted via Mobile Device
Really a good point. I would not take your guess on a bet Greg!
easy-lift guy
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Really a good point. I would not take your guess on a bet Greg!
easy-lift guy
Seeing it a lot around here. Only see a couple of crews that I've been seeing for years and of course the big boys are still around. See new ones start up and around for a couple months then won't see them again. Lots of equipment for sale right now.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acculawnsystems View Post
I would use all Exmark and Stihl. You should also start a website and use acculawnsystem.com to give instant online quotes through your website. You can drive customers to your website by passing out flyers. You also have the option to email instant quotes to a customer. See what the homeowner sees at Acculawncare.com.
Not to hijack the thread but how does your program come up with a price? Looked up several of my properties and you would be charging $110-$120 a month for basic lawn service on properties that I get $90 a month for and I am on the high side in this area.

I also liked the seeding option at $122.50. So what are you going to seed my Floratam lawn with?
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Sponsor

Looking to start Lawn Mowing Services what should I start off with??

This is just an example. You can customize it and set your own pricing structure. Furthermore, we are offering this system to only one LCO per area. So once an LCO signs up for the area we will not be able to offer this technology to any other LCO in that area. Check out to see if your area is available by going to acculawnsystems.com.