The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Exmark or Scag?
Exmark 72 55.81%
Scag 57 44.19%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wish I had a Scag dealer for a neighbor. The Exmark dealer is on life support here. A Gravely dealer just opened a huge new shop and showroom in a newly built Rentelax building that went under. Parking lot is busy all day.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasko's Lawncare View Post
Im looking into purchasing a zero turn in the upcoming year and for the longest time I've had my heart set on an Exmark. But lately I've been asking around getting peoples opinions on the new generation of Exmark. The feedback hasn't been good most people say that the cut will look good when you leave but when you go back an hour later you find out that the grass wasn't completely cut and pops back up the same people say they want there old Exmarks back. So this has really got me thinking about considering scag and i'm looking for opinions on witch will give me the better cut and less chance of having to double cut and me being in eastern PA we have mainly Kentucky Blue Grass. Any response is appreciated!
in my personal opinion there really isn't any brand of mower that is superior in any way, shape or form.

I cut kb and tall fescue. I have access to toro, scag, exmark, wright, walker and deere.

my choice is exmark and toro. the others cost more and just don't offer anything that make them better than the toros and exmarks to make me willing to pay the extra money.

I've had and used new and old exmarks and have never had a bad cut as a result of the mower.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed a Scag and exmark and I prefer the exmark. Don't get me wrong scag is a very tough machine. And that's what I thought of it it was tough. To me it wasn't smooth. The exmark hydros were very smooth. The controls made the machine feel like it was easy to operate. Jmo. Hope it helps

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whats funny is that I was mowing next to this lawn that grows fast every week that is heavily fertilized and watered in a rich area in CT. Well I was mowing and this company had two scags running and when the cut was done what looked like to be the owner of the business mowed it a final time with an Exmark 30 min later with his truck. It didn't look like a new Exmark maybe one that was 5-10 years old.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I have owned exmarks,scags now john deere I can honestly say i love scag the best all around. They handle hills better cut better and they are just a tuff machine for the commercial world
Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
Whats funny is that I was mowing next to this lawn that grows fast every week that is heavily fertilized and watered in a rich area in CT. Well I was mowing and this company had two scags running and when the cut was done what looked like to be the owner of the business mowed it a final time with an Exmark 30 min later with his truck. It didn't look like a new Exmark maybe one that was 5-10 years old.
What? You never heard of double-cutting?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess i'm one of the lucky ones.. I got a new next lazer and this thing could not cut any better, however i was running the Ex extreme blades and on weedy wet lawns it would clump like crazy mainly while cutting crabgrass.. Did a simple blade change ( high lift notched) and the quality of cut is back. I cut all differnt types of lawns mostly fescues and alot of sod no problems, especially sod leaves an awesome cut. Like i said i guess i'm a lucky one..
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know if I'd say lucky. exmark makes a very good mower. like I said before I don't think there is another mower out there that is SUPERIOR.

not saying exmark is the mower just saying they all have there pros and cons and of the ones I've seen or tried none of them are so much better than the other. so price is a huge part of the deciding factor for me.

in my neck of the woods I have access to wright, walker, toro, exmark, jd and scag. toro and exmark are the cheapest and the others don't have anything that make superior to and exmark or toro except walkers ghs. but they all produce decent cuts and they all have there pros and cons
Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasko's Lawncare View Post
Im looking into purchasing a zero turn in the upcoming year and for the longest time I've had my heart set on an Exmark. But lately I've been asking around getting peoples opinions on the new generation of Exmark. The feedback hasn't been good most people say that the cut will look good when you leave but when you go back an hour later you find out that the grass wasn't completely cut and pops back up the same people say they want there old Exmarks back. So this has really got me thinking about considering scag and i'm looking for opinions on witch will give me the better cut and less chance of having to double cut and me being in eastern PA we have mainly Kentucky Blue Grass. Any response is appreciated!
Instead of posting on here you need to go and demo them for yourself. We demoed an eXmark Lazer 2 weeks ago it was okay I prefer the older style Lazer like we have now, not because of anything in particular just what I've been running. Didn't have any issues like the uncut grass later on in the day.

I demoed a Dixie Chopper Classic 2750. I really liked the machines performance, the cut and the overall look and feel of it so we bought it. After getting the deck height adjusted so I could cut max height I really like it.

I was going to go demo a Scag but after the demo of the Dixie Chopper and the price we were able to negotiate we pulled trigger on the Dixie.

The best thing to do is demo and get an extended demo if possible.

The eXmark dealer rubbed me the wrong way after years of dealing with them so that was also a factor for us.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I don't know if I'd say lucky. exmark makes a very good mower. like I said before I don't think there is another mower out there that is SUPERIOR.

not saying exmark is the mower just saying they all have there pros and cons and of the ones I've seen or tried none of them are so much better than the other. so price is a huge part of the deciding factor for me.

in my neck of the woods I have access to wright, walker, toro, exmark, jd and scag. toro and exmark are the cheapest and the others don't have anything that make superior to and exmark or toro except walkers ghs. but they all produce decent cuts and they all have there pros and cons
I guess I kept saying lucky because it seems like so many have the clumping wet grass problem, which is not the case for me. It seems to be a toss up some say they have problems cutting wet grass and some say they don't. That's why I refered to myself as lucky. IMO I think they are one of the best in the market period..