Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Oh well you're cutting that hill sideways no wonder it's rutting, with a Ztr you should be cutting up and down which unfortunately you can only do it with the front of the machine pointing up slope so you have to do it one pass up then back down the same way and move over and repeat until done, bit time consuming but do that and your rutting problem is fixed, or keep mowing sideways and you can't win this one.
No offense but I wiould like to see somebody go up and down these pond hills. When you get to the top how will lou keep from scalping the grass. It is not possible.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Based on comparison turf and past experience, there is only 1 explanation that makes logical sense, based on the tracks we've gotten for the first time ever... this was the year that began the TGCL Wannabee Program... inadequate water and crushed Fescue Crowns unable to overcome the chemical/fertilizer burn, in time...
The perfect storm of How To Kill A Fescue...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I skipped mowing this for a couple weeks. Oh by the way there is a little King Ranch bluestem in the buffulo. Think the tracks will be gone when I mow next time? It got a big rain on it yesterday and today.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My bet is yes--that grass is not irrigated...dry grass will mat down and I'll bet regularly watered grass will be more resilient and stand up--

limp lettuce kinda lays over, lettuce with lots of water stand up-
Old 09-14-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
i am looking for some feedback from you up north guys that mow these huge yards. I wonder how you aerate them or don't you. With what type of equipment? I guess i will have to post in the other section but i see post all the time about seeding lawns and using aeration before seeding. Surely people don't use a 30" aerator?
every year i rent a 48 inch tow behind core aerator. Comes with five five gallon jugs that you fill with water for weight. Works good, i can do about 8 acres in three hours towing behind an atv. Renting the tow behind is about 40 dollars for a half day, its cheaper than the ones with engines on them
Old 09-14-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Well I skipped mowing this for a couple weeks. Oh by the way there is a little King Ranch bluestem in the buffulo. Think the tracks will be gone when I mow next time? It got a big rain on it yesterday and today.
Looks good. Mow less often like EOW and before irrigation.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
My bet is yes--that grass is not irrigated...dry grass will mat down and I'll bet regularly watered grass will be more resilient and stand up--

limp lettuce kinda lays over, lettuce with lots of water stand up-
We got rotors from the bottom along sidewalk and a row of rotors on top watering down towards the sidewalk. It defintely runs because I had to adjust the top rotors so they didn't water into the pit. I never seen that grassy weed so tall.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seen a truck with Hess Farms in Washington yesterday , that from your family farm. It was coming from Knox Co. on Hwy 50.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
Seen a truck with Hess Farms in Washington yesterday , that from your family farm. It was coming from Knox Co. on Hwy 50.
It is a small world that is likely my brother or his boy who is running the farm in Vincennes. He has rent land all around that area. I am taking some vacation next year and will come up and visit him and I will give you a call.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got around to mowing that tracked area won't wait 2 weeks any more. Nice weed control right. After last year we decided that anything green is better than dirt. This is what happens when msma went away. Tracks will definitely be worse. Notice that sky....got a big rain and more hanging around.
Attached Images