Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Why cant Stihl make 2-Cycle equipment?

I got to rant a little bit. I stopped by my local Stihl dealer yesterday for some parts, i looked on the back wall where all the trimmers are and i wanted to cry. Almost everyone of them had the 4-mix motors, the only ones that didn't were the 45,55,70,and 250. Don't get me wrong i like my FS-90's, they are powerful machines but they aren't like the old 2 stroke Stihls. One thing that i don't like is the 4-Mix motors have no low end torque. You pretty much have to hold it wide open to cut, and when i trim i like to use half throttle which you cannot do with the 4-mix trimmers. Taking them in for valve adjustments all the time is a headache too. Stihl use to have the best trimmers in the business like the FS-80,FS-85,FS-120, and FS-200. The FS-120 was one of the best trimmers made, it was around the same price as a FS-90 and it was 30cc's of raw 2-Stroke power. Now, you have to spend $530 to get a good 2-Cycle trimmer which is the FS-250. Me and the salesman had a good discussion about this and i wanted to hear from some of you. Why cant Stihl make 2-Cycle equipment. If Echo,Redmax,Shindaiwa,Husqvarna,Tanaka,Maryuama, and others can still make 2-Cycle trimmers, why cant Stihl. Why cant one of the largest makers of Outdoor power equipment with technology out the wazoo and the best engineers produce 2-Stroke equipment that meets EPA standards?
Grasshopper 52" 718K
Yazoo-Kees 48"
Stihl Trimmers & Blowers
Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

none of the other makers except husky run like they used too. blame the epa. for some reason the huskys still run strong and smooth despite the epa regs. i am nursing all my old models foe as long as possible as i am done with the 4 mix. the shin c4 is no better. hasnt sthil come out with some new 2 stroke models?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well in my personal opinion, the others may build 2 stroke stuff but none of them or worth a sheet anymore.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Sponsor

Becuse they created a 4 cycle to meet EPA requirments. No point looking back.
Echo bought out shindawia since they decided to not try and reinvent the 2 cycle
engine.. As much a business decision as it was to absorb that portion of the market share.
easy-lift guy
Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of my local Stihl dealers has a little hidden secret that one of the owners told me about. This particular dealer sells a lot of Stihl equipment, including to the city. The city buys everything but Stihl trimmers. They also complain about the weight. Unbeknownst to virtually everybody that walks through the door, this dealer also has a stock of Kawasaki KTF-27A trimmers. The city buys these instead of the Stihl trimmers. I have a Kawasaki KTF-27B1 trimmer and it is truly a great trimmer.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

EPA end of story
Old 09-19-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I dont like the whole "greeny" thing surrounding the 4 strokes and 2 strokes being simpler are naturally better. I stayed away from stihl for a long time because of that. Most of my stuff is 4 mix now. They just run better and longer for me despite my logic and prefference. And the thing I like most about them is the exact opposite of what you said. The low end torque is so much better.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a 4 stroke SHOULD have more low end torque. 2 strokes generally have a narrow powerband and most of the power is in the upper end of the range. i prefer the 2 stroke stuff in small equipment, its lighter, simpler, and just all around easier. let those 4 stroke valves go too long and see how fun it is to start! theres alot less to go wrong on a 2 stroke and i believe that they last just as long as any 4 stroke would under the same conditions
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with kawakx125. I used an FS85 trimmer for a long time, and still use an FC85 edger. I bought an FS90R about 4-5 years ago when the FS85 went south.

The FS90R has much better low end torque than the FS or FC. I always run the FC WOT, but rarely run the FS90 WOT. I force myself to run it WOT more to get it hotter.

As for valves, there is "no taking it it all the time." I bought the kit, adjusted them one time about about 100 hours. It took all of 30 minutes. I've posted a link with pictures several times. The valve issue is a non-issue, but does make a great talking point for Stihl objectors.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I simply will not buy a 4 stroke... I have enough valve problems with my dirt bike

PlowSite-SnowFakers