Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't get Honda mower started- help

I bought a smartdrive Honda from Home Depot this spring for small yards. I've had problems with it all season, and then oil started leaking out of the airfilter yesterday. Since this was happening I decided to try and start and up another Honda mower that was given to me by one of my customers this spring. It's a real nice mower in good shape but has sat for 3 years or so. I've changed the spark plug, oil, put in fresh fuel (there was no fuel in it when I got it obviously). I took off the carb and soaked it in carb cleaner. It starts after several pulls and then dies almost immediately. Anything else I should try or that you could suggest? It would be a great mower if I could just get it running. Thank you. I don't know the exact model number, but it's not a harmony and I think it's a little older than these new smart drive setups.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-20-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

try a different plug. I want to say it's a fuel flow problem. Make sure your air flow is good. Sometimes, i'll briefly try to run it without the air filter. If it runs fine, then air flow is your problem. The magneto may be faulty also.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have u tried kicking it and swearing at it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What's a magneto and how do I work on the fuel flow? I put in a new champion plug today.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd bet the carb still has issues. Most likely slime or debris is still blocking a jet or more deep inside. Just a soak won't cure it, but a whole new carb and gasket set can usually be had for cheap.

Get the serial number off the back of the mower deck; it's in the form of "MXXX-1234567" and I'll look up the part number and price of a new carb and gasket set. It's often much faster, easier and cheaper just to remove & replace the carb to get it running again. Include your ZIP code and I'll get you a list of nearby Honda dealer where you can buy the parts.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A magneto is a magnet against the flywheel that makes the spark. It's connected to that wire on your plug. Sometimes cleaning rust off flywheel and magneto will work. I think robertcoats advice is good, and may be more accurate.