Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
without them we wouldn't have tie dye and patchouli oil cologne

please tell me more about your experience with organic fertilizer post aeration, I advocate top dressing with compost after aeration, but have not spread organic fert. post aeration-
thanks-
While Compost is the preferred top dressing after Hollow core, Not everyone has the equipment to do it economically. fl-landscapes has all the Equipment to spread compost from the 33,000 GVW Dump truck to the Motorized top dresser. Even then he is unhappy with Charging only $ 40 a thousand to spread a $ 5.00 a yard Compost. While this sounds like a big profit margin the equipment cost a small fortune. There is a lot of work to compost compared to a little organic fertilizer. So yes Organic Fertilizer is a short cut and not as good as Compost top dressing.

Slow Dog

Yes a lot of crooks in this business. But you won't catch me risking my license. I worked too hard to get it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Where can you find all of these products? I know that Lowe's and Home Depot carry Milorganite, but what about the other products mentioned? Does JDL carry any of these products?

I'm just a homeowner btw.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
Where can you find all of these products? I know that Lowe's and Home Depot carry Milorganite, but what about the other products mentioned? Does JDL carry any of these products?

I'm just a homeowner btw.
Just find a source of high quality bulk compost.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
The next big questions are, where? and how do I know it's high quality?
If a homeowner has enough deciduous trees to collect and compost the leaves, that's a good place to start. Learn how to make your own.

For the professional LCO, finding a source of quality bulk compost can be very difficult.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there is a local place that will deliver compost by the yard, but can it be spread with a rotary spreader? I'm assuming the other products are pelletized. The recommendation for the compost I'm referring to is that it be worked into the soil, but that may not be absolutely necessary. The other stuff just sounds like it would be an easier approach.

I've also got got an area in front of my house with a lot of trees. I was planning to just blow the leaves off the yard, but I've been reading a lot of stuff lately that recommends mulching them into the yard.

I think my lawn would benefit greatly from a heavy dose of organic matter.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Here in my part of Florida we have several Horticultural recycling centers. They have Tub Grinders that chew up Shrub Trimming that are then piled in great mountians to compost.

We have two Older recycle centers that have very good aged Compost. However I don't think their compost could be certified for a Pure Organic Farm because the Compost might have residual Pesticides.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a local place that will deliver compost by the yard, but can it be spread with a rotary spreader? I'm assuming the other products are pelletized. The recommendation for the compost I'm referring to is that it be worked into the soil, but that may not be absolutely necessary. The other stuff just sounds like it would be an easier approach.

I've also got got an area in front of my house with a lot of trees. I was planning to just blow the leaves off the yard, but I've been reading a lot of stuff lately that recommends mulching them into the yard.

I think my lawn would benefit greatly from a heavy dose of organic matter.
Unless you are dealing with acres of land, spreading the compost manually is not that big a deal.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Unless you are dealing with acres of land, spreading the compost manually is not that big a deal.
Does it need to be worked into the soil, or can you just spread it and leave it? Does it offer benefits beyond the organic products mentioned in this thread?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ideally you want to till it in as deep as you reasonably can. That said, tilling is sometimes not an option so you are left with topdressing. How much you topdress depends on where you are applying it and for what reason.

Benefits = price to volume ratio
Also using local sources is a more sustainable approach.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Milorginite = Biosolids = Organic. Yes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
The organic community does not see it this way.
I believe the "organic community" believes something being organic should come from an organic source. Since I would guess 90% of the people in Milwaukee(i think thats where its made) consume massive amounts on inorganic matter (mcdonalds, soda pop, lots and lots of synthetic preservatives) the microbes they are collecting have been feeding on inorganic waste. So they cant call it 100% organic.