Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

10,000 hits on the website

www.cannonlawncare.com is the web site and let me know what you thank!... What to do to get more???
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I thank God daily for what he gives me... (joke on your typo)

To help those starting out with their websites, how long has that been up and how many jobs would you say you got from the site for those 10,000 hits.

Congrats on reaching that. I'll be honest, I was kinda expecting a generic counter, one where every time you refresh the page it goes up. Good to see that you have one that behaves better.

I'll take a full look at it after a little bit, my day is just getting started.

-Greg
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanncann View Post
www.cannonlawncare.com is the web site and let me know what you thank!... What to do to get more???
Are you tracking actual traffic and user interactions or relying on the counter? You should really use a legitimate 3rd party traffic analyzer, such as Google Analytics. I haven't seen GoDaddy's analysis in a few years, but my guess would be Google goes significantly more granular, especially as it relates to visitor location.

Re: the counter itself, If I were a competitor visiting your site and saw it, I would do a rough comparison and see what I need to do to exceed your traffic. Why tip your hand? Couple that with their usual inaccuracy and there's a reason on-page counters haven't been used in over a decade. They simply don't give you the usable data you need to answer your prevailing question of "What to do to get more?".

- Your pictures seem to be over 1mb each, when they could probably be 35k or so. The load time of the page suffers incredibly, as does user experience.

- Your About Us page is center-justified, making for a less natural read. The rest of your site is right-justified.

- SEO-wise, read up on basic info re: title and H tag optimizations, meta descriptions, etc and you'll quickly see where you can make improvements. We've linked to quite a few of these resources in a lot of past posts, so take a read through the archives of site reviews and you'll see a lot of useful info, as this is one of the most common issues.

Last edited by tonygreek; 09-20-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Finally had time to go over the site more thoroughly.

First thing: You are using the BBB logo although when I checked you with them, you are not an Accredited member with them. This goes against their license terms (generally, they will just request you to remove it, however they have been known to sue if you ignore that request)

The ServiceMaster seal is outdated, (they changed names), and I would have it link directly to your review to make it easier for customers to check you out. http://www.servicemagic.com/rated.Ca....21613651.html has the new seal on it.

The colors at the top of the page just clash too much for my tastes, especially wit the very dark tone of the main image. This is my personal tastes though.

I would myself get rid of the counter and rely on other tracking methods. At the very least I would set the counter to not be visible.

Having the date/time show on the site, to be quite honest is not that useful.

The site doesn't validate (no real surprise since you are using GoDaddy's site builder)

Definitely take Tony's advice on the image sizes. I'm sitting here waiting for the Services page to load. At first I was thinking it was my connection dogging out, but just told GTmetrix to test it, and that is taking forever as well! See this graph of the page loading: http://gtmetrix.com/har.html?inputUr...rp&expand=true As you can see, a 21k image took over 1 minute to load. This however is not a case of the image size, that is a case of GoDaddy's hosting which as I have seen on some other sites, at times can snag and slow down. (Proof of that is that the 1.1meg image loaded in way shorter time! But still there is no need to have to download a 1.1meg image

Along with the centering issue Tony mentioned, there are two misspellings on the About Us page (approximately and license). Also I'd break that up into proper paragraphs to make it more readable.

On the Testimonials page, you have a typo (recommend) which is part of the testimony.

The Contact Us page, I hit submit without filling in anything, and it just took me to the home page, no validation. I don't know if you just got a blank email from it (or however you get the info). I would suggest adding a "Comments/Questions" text box, so that you have an idea of what they are wanting when you get the e-mail.

For the equipment page, get the images more uniform in layout/sizes, giving padding between them. They look just thrown up there. The message about "pictures coming soon.." I would put at the top, as it end up looking like it is part of the eXmark logo.

That and the points mentioned by Tony would be the changes I would put in as soon as possible

-Greg