Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 4" reed pipe puller i will sell for $325 shipped. It runs about a grand new. I finished my 4" gasketed main job and probably wont do another one for a few years. The thing worked awesome, much much faster than doing by hand, especially elbows and Ts. Also capable of doing 6", just need a couple 6" adaptors
Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
I have a 4" reed pipe puller i will sell for $325 shipped. It runs about a grand new. I finished my 4" gasketed main job and probably wont do another one for a few years. The thing worked awesome, much much faster than doing by hand, especially elbows and Ts. Also capable of doing 6", just need a couple 6" adaptors
just curious. how fast is faster than by hand.?

i have always just used duckbutter and a bar on gasket pipe.

how long does it take to put the puller on the pipes?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They put 500' together in 30-40 minutes. We could put it together outside of the 3' trench and did not have to have the pipe connected to push against.

I still dont know how you guys can push on an elbow with a bar. I was glad we had the joiner for some tight spots with fittings going out of a sleeve then back in a sleeve in a 3' trench.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They put 500' together in 30-40 minutes. We could put it together outside of the 3' trench and did not have to have the pipe connected to push against.

I still dont know how you guys can push on an elbow with a bar. I was glad we had the joiner for some tight spots with fittings going out of a sleeve then back in a sleeve in a 3' trench.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your post didnt go through
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Your post didnt go through
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
i guess that is because i didn't write one
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So what is the trick to get an elbow on with a bar(besides duck butter)? We couldn't get one on for the life of us. We tried for about 30 minutes b/c I did not want to reconfigure the pipe joiner to fit in the trench between sleeves, but we just could not get a good push because curve in the back of the elbow. Do you have some sort of adaptor that helps get a straight push on the elbow?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So what is the trick to get an elbow on with a bar(besides duck butter)? We couldn't get one on for the life of us. We tried for about 30 minutes b/c I did not want to reconfigure the pipe joiner to fit in the trench between sleeves, but we just could not get a good push because curve in the back of the elbow. Do you have some sort of adaptor that helps get a straight push on the elbow?
After a few miles of underground a guy gets a pretty good feel for pipeline installs.
Proper preparation is the key on all sizes of pipe, or anything for that matter.
Yes i have made several push tools but they aren't worth a damn if the pipe isn't prepped right.
I have tried many different tools and devices from clamps to forks and spoons but in the end i found that the forks and saddle chocks that i made worked on all sizes of pipe if the pipe is prepped correctly.
I never rolled a gasket but had a 12 in mj fail on a fire sprinkler line in 92.
Funny thing is that this year 2 new 15 in orchard sprinkler mains failed because of gaskets, told them right off what it was.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
After a few miles of underground a guy gets a pretty good feel for pipeline installs.
Proper preparation is the key on all sizes of pipe, or anything for that matter.
Yes i have made several push tools but they aren't worth a damn if the pipe isn't prepped right.
I have tried many different tools and devices from clamps to forks and spoons but in the end i found that the forks and saddle chocks that i made worked on all sizes of pipe if the pipe is prepped correctly.
I never rolled a gasket but had a 12 in mj fail on a fire sprinkler line in 92.
Funny thing is that this year 2 new 15 in orchard sprinkler mains failed because of gaskets, told them right off what it was.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah i figured you had a trick. If i had your experience, i prob wouldnt need a joiner.... but it bridged the gap on this one!