Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 PM
walker45 walker45 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: va
Posts: 62
Grass seed recommendation

I live in Va getting ready to overseed currently using a Southrn lawn extreme with hybrid bluegrass and fescue, have some damage from heat about 30000 sq feet. Is there a less expensive seed than the 110 a bag I pay now, is there a thin bladed fescue or mix that will blend in with my grass and have ability to repair itself. I normally dethatch and plug then seed, should I rent an overseeder or continue my way or anymore suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Smallaxe Smallaxe is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 9,901
If you are repairing heat damage to a lawn, you really don't need to rent a slit-seeder to overseed... de-thatching is a waste of time and money, as it also robs the OM layer from the soil...

Cheap seed begins to really show up over a period of time, so that is not an option... using less seed, wisely is the way to go...
__________________
*
Now that I know that clay's texture(platelets) has nothing to do with water infiltration, percolation, or drainage
,,, I wonder what does...
*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker45 View Post
I live in Va getting ready to overseed currently using a Southrn lawn extreme with hybrid bluegrass and fescue, have some damage from heat about 30000 sq feet. Is there a less expensive seed than the 110 a bag I pay now, is there a thin bladed fescue or mix that will blend in with my grass and have ability to repair itself. I normally dethatch and plug then seed, should I rent an overseeder or continue my way or anymore suggestions.
To the best of my knowledge, the only cool season grasses that repair themselves are KBG or the hybridKBG you are apparently using. Of the HKBGs, Thermal Blue is probably the most aggressive rhizome-wise. Blend it 10% by weight with a quality TTTF, seed at recommended rate, and you should have a cost effective solution.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,809
Just picked up 4 50# bags on 90% TTTF and 10% Hybrid Thermal Blue KGB for $82 a bag I think it was. On our customers we use the TRIO mix which is 80% TTTF, 10% rye and 10% KBG. We use that on customers because they see the rye come up quickly and that makes them happy even thought that's not the "good" grass that actually fills the yard in but they have no clue.

Scroll down and you will find it. Tall fescue thermal blue mix

http://newsomseed.com/grassseedmixes.html
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Just picked up 4 50# bags on 90% TTTF and 10% Hybrid Thermal Blue KGB for $82 a bag I think it was. On our customers we use the TRIO mix which is 80% TTTF, 10% rye and 10% KBG. We use that on customers because they see the rye come up quickly and that makes them happy even thought that's not the "good" grass that actually fills the yard in but they have no clue.

Scroll down and you will find it. Tall fescue thermal blue mix

http://newsomseed.com/grassseedmixes.html
Did they change the Trio mix? The link says 10% KBG, not TB. I have noticed that Newsom's website is not updated that often. You are right about the PRG keeping folks happy. TTTF comes up pretty quick, but KBG is like waiting for Godot.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
Did they change the Trio mix? The link says 10% KBG, not TB. I have noticed that Newsom's website is not updated that often. You are right about the PRG keeping folks happy. TTTF comes up pretty quick, but KBG is like waiting for Godot.


No no they have a mix that is 90% TTTF and 10% thermal blue and that is what I used on my own lawn. We use trio mix on customers lawns.






__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
How is the 90/10 working for you?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
How is the 90/10 working for you?

I will have to let you know later this fall. This is the first time I have tried it. It wasn't much more than the trio mix so I figured what the heck might as well give it a try on my own lawn.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
FWIW, I tried a plot of the Scotts 90/10 with the coated seed last Fall. It did not establish as well as I hoped, and it seemed dominated by TTTF. But then, in the early spring, the Thermal Blue suddenly popped -- it would have to be from rhizomes, because I had not yet reseeded. It filled in a lot of the thin bare patches, and I was super impressed. The area looked great, although it was clear that TB comes in at pretty light green genetic color. The problem I saw was that later in the summer, with summer stress, the TTTF began to outcompete the TB in the bare spots with typical TF behavior -- the blades got really thick and the growth habit went lateral. The TB did not seem to be able to hold its own. So, I dunno -- I'm going to try this year by mixing the TB with PRG instead of the TTTF. PRG does not like heat, and hopefully, the TB will, and will outcompete it. We shall see.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.06689 seconds with 9 queries