Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

crabgrass in fall

I am surprised--crabgrass around here is looking very brown. Not dead but looking very much on its last legs. Lowest temperature has been 41 degrees.

http://www.enviroweather.msu.edu/run...=hvl&mod=w_sum

I suspect that after a temp of 45 degrees, crabgrass is injured so that almost zero new growth is possible.

What does your crabgrass look like? Got pictures? Does this mean you could have sown grass on top of crabgrass two weeks ago? And your new grass would come up through the dying crabgrass?

Does this mean you could fertilize about now without stimulating any growth from crabgrass?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just put down a fert with Em with no concern about Crab Grass. I suspect the demension will stunt mature crab grass but I am not concerned about it flushing up. I will do a post in about a month but again not targeting CG.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've noticed that here too... no more CG at all... in fact I noticed today just how bad some lawns have gotten because the CG took over several nice lawns during the course of the hot summer...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Makes me realize that I kinda love crabgrass in a way most of my garbage lawns that were all crabgrass and was needing weekly cuts went to not being cut in almost 3weeks now.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan's Lawn Care View Post
Makes me realize that I kinda love crabgrass in a way most of my garbage lawns that were all crabgrass and was needing weekly cuts went to not being cut in almost 3weeks now.
That's funny... we've had quite a bit of death in high maintenance lawns because of irrigation problems this year,,, and now we see these brownish, purplish patches everywhere...
You are right, there would have been large areas that would have been only dust had it not been for the CG...

I didn't realize how much more overseeding needs to be done...