Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc417 View Post
Crabgrass, clover dandelions etc. So u think it may harm the grass since we are close to ve transitioning to dormancy
Posted via Mobile Device
Too late to worry about the crab. I wouldn't use prodiamine on centipede or the trimec (24D). I would use simazine at this time of year at 1oz per K.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive have good results with Trimec Southern ( lower % of 2-4-d).. Do you think Simazine is a better chemical on centipede than Trimec Southern.. I sprayed Prodiamine march 2012, so if I get 6 months coverage with that app It should be starting to wear off. Why wouldnt you use Prodiamine on centipede
Old 09-22-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ive have good results with Trimec Southern ( lower % of 2-4-d).. Do you think Simazine is a better chemical on centipede than Trimec Southern.. I sprayed Prodiamine march 2012, so if I get 6 months coverage with that app It should be starting to wear off. Why wouldnt you use Prodiamine on centipede
I don't use prodiamine on centipedegrass for a couple of reasons:

1) Prodiamine is a root inhibitor and hangs around in the soil a long time. So, it keeps the roots from spreading stolons from tacking down and creates stolon hoops or wickets.

I've seen competitors sued b/c some old lady got her foot caught in a centipedegrass stolon that didn't root down b/c of prodiamine app. Most of the cases I've heard about were dismissed, but that's a battle I'd rather not fight.

2) I always see at least some winterkill on centipedegrass every year, even in the southern coastal parts of SC and GA. B/c prodiamine hangs around so long and inhibits root activity so much, you can't repair those areas if something doesn't come back from the winter cold.

Prodiamine is a great product -- it does a great job of keeping weeds from establishing. Centipedegrass is a finicky animal and, while prodiamine keeps the weeds away, it also makes it difficult to repair any damage that can come from cold winters.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Do u recommend simizine right now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Do u recommend simizine right now.. simizine instead of prodiamine for.spring and fall pre apps
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't apply simazine until November. I would however, apply that prodiamine now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
I don't use prodiamine on centipedegrass for a couple of reasons:

1) Prodiamine is a root inhibitor and hangs around in the soil a long time. So, it keeps the roots from spreading stolons from tacking down and creates stolon hoops or wickets.

I've seen competitors sued b/c some old lady got her foot caught in a centipedegrass stolon that didn't root down b/c of prodiamine app. Most of the cases I've heard about were dismissed, but that's a battle I'd rather not fight.

2) I always see at least some winterkill on centipedegrass every year, even in the southern coastal parts of SC and GA. B/c prodiamine hangs around so long and inhibits root activity so much, you can't repair those areas if something doesn't come back from the winter cold.

Prodiamine is a great product -- it does a great job of keeping weeds from establishing. Centipedegrass is a finicky animal and, while prodiamine keeps the weeds away, it also makes it difficult to repair any damage that can come from cold winters.
As he said centipede is sensitive and prodiamine is one of the harshest root pruners. Not sure about your timing of simazine but I am going to put mine down if Nov. I'm located in south Arkansas if that helps.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. i just bought some simazine to try in a month or so. How do you gyys feel about me spraying some trimec southern now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks guys. i just bought some simazine to try in a month or so. How do you gyys feel about me spraying some trimec southern now
Posted via Mobile Device
You can apply but since the centipede is about to go dormant it's not the best time. How bad is the weed situation? Ultimately that is the determining factor...do the weeds pose enough threat to the health of the grass at this time to justify spraying? I would honestly wait until dormant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't. I've had negative results using this on centipede even though it labeled for it. The effects weren't immediate felt like it hurt it long term.