Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Irrigation Blowouts, PSI and Back Flow Preventers.

Picked up three accounts this year that have irrigation systems.

We take care of the maintenance on the systems, and really it's been fairly simple with no issues through the season besides a bad install on one property and a few fittings that have come loose.

It's about blow-out time though. I plan on getting a 90cfm pull behind compressor to do the job right.

Couple of questions though (and yes a search but just found a bunch of babble in each thread ).

1.) What would be the minimum PSI? I know you shouldn't go over 80, but that's probably way more than needed for most systems. That and I suspect on one system I deal with that the install was on the cheap side, so I don't want to blow out the un-clamped barbed fittings at the heads.

2.) One property has a back-flow preventor out-side. I know your not supposed to blow through a BFP, so is just cracking the valve slightly after the blow-out enough to keep from having any freeze damage with the water in the pipe leading to the BFP? Or should I try to at least drain the BFP if possible.

3.) Also, thought I know this is a loaded and probably un-answerable question, how much time do you have after the water is blown out before you could possibly do damage due to no water and air friction. I don't have a remote and don't feel the need to purchase one just for 3 blow-outs. I do have an employee, but he is deaf and relaying messages with a walkie-talkie wouldn't work and so I would have to run back to change the zones myself.

I appreciate the help. These systems are simple enough and for just three systems it's a nice little learning experience. One being 4 zones with a booster, one being 9 zones with a booster and one being a 9 zone residential. And yes, I know to cut the power to the booster.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

* crickets *
Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
* crickets *
Crickets, no, shouldn't be any in the system.

I'm hoping it's too soon for that comment.....

Last edited by White Gardens; 09-22-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well its more volume and PSI together.

You can use a 5 gallon air compressor @ 150 psi and be doing nothing..

Blow through the PVB all you want the world will not end..

but expect to change some internal parts in the future.

Just start off light with the air my friend, maybe half open ball valve.. Look @ or go to the heads, step on one..if you can easily step on lets say the last one you might want to put a little more air through it...Don't be scared

There is a very friendly guy on here named Mike Leary that welcomes new comers and their questions...

Remember to shut off the ball valve @ the POC or turn breaker off.

good luck.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
There is a very friendly guy on here named Mike Leary that welcomes new comers and their questions...
Oh yes, quite welcoming. He will hold your hand all the way, with patience and encouragement.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
Well its more volume and PSI together.

You can use a 5 gallon air compressor @ 150 psi and be doing nothing..

Blow through the PVB all you want the world will not end..

but expect to change some internal parts in the future.

Just start off light with the air my friend, maybe half open ball valve.. Look @ or go to the heads, step on one..if you can easily step on lets say the last one you might want to put a little more air through it...Don't be scared

Remember to shut off the ball valve @ the POC or turn breaker off.

good luck.
Don't plan on blowing through the PVB. I'm just concerned as it is about 10 feet out-side the building and I know there will still be some water left in that pipe when done. Seems kinda like a bad location if you ask me, but I'm no install professional.

And thanks. I figure 90cfm will be sufficient and will probably start out in the 30psi range to be on the safe side. I've fixed three different heads this season do to the poly coming away from the barbed fittings from either soil movement or tree roots. That's what has got me concerned about the PSI on this system.

Now, I haven't found a ball valve for one of the boosters , but have found it to be plugged in with a standard three prong outlet. So the plan is to just un-plug it as the controller is plugged into the same place.

One of the boosters I haven't discovered the power-supply for yet. It's in a stock room and they've piled mounds of crap in that area, so I'll have to do some digging.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And, there is no PVB for the irrigation system specifically for one of the systems. I wondering if they assumed the large PVB for the entire facility was good enough.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Picked up three accounts this year that have irrigation systems.

We take care of the maintenance on the systems, and really it's been fairly simple with no issues through the season besides a bad install on one property and a few fittings that have come loose.

It's about blow-out time though. I plan on getting a 90cfm pull behind compressor to do the job right.

Couple of questions though (and yes a search but just found a bunch of babble in each thread ).

1.) What would be the minimum PSI? I know you shouldn't go over 80, but that's probably way more than needed for most systems. That and I suspect on one system I deal with that the install was on the cheap side, so I don't want to blow out the un-clamped barbed fittings at the heads.

2.) One property has a back-flow preventor out-side. I know your not supposed to blow through a BFP, so is just cracking the valve slightly after the blow-out enough to keep from having any freeze damage with the water in the pipe leading to the BFP? Or should I try to at least drain the BFP if possible.

3.) Also, thought I know this is a loaded and probably un-answerable question, how much time do you have after the water is blown out before you could possibly do damage due to no water and air friction. I don't have a remote and don't feel the need to purchase one just for 3 blow-outs. I do have an employee, but he is deaf and relaying messages with a walkie-talkie wouldn't work and so I would have to run back to change the zones myself.

I appreciate the help. These systems are simple enough and for just three systems it's a nice little learning experience. One being 4 zones with a booster, one being 9 zones with a booster and one being a 9 zone residential. And yes, I know to cut the power to the booster.

1. - no clear cut answer for this. There is a balance between PSI and CFM. Hopefully you have an adjustable PRV so you can play around with it. Each site may need different PSI.

2. - blow through the BFV all you want. Not the best practice, but we ado it all the time.

3. - it's a learning thing. You may need to blow out each zone 2-3 times, shorter amounts each time, to get a feel for when enough is enough. Blow out the zone to where no water is coming out of the last head, then come back to it again after the other zones. See how much water is actually coming out a second time. There may be depressions in the pipe or dead end sections that may hold water.

Good luck, happy learning.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks, good to know that you can blow through the PVB, just sucks that I didn't install the system, so I don't know the quality of the installs.

I do plan on doing each zone at least twice for the reasons you stated.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen some of WG's work on the other forums, he's no hack so give him a break.
Posted via Mobile Device

sorry dana, was slower than you were fast. send the summit pics

Last edited by 1idejim; 09-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.