Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tips on disolving fertilizer

I just purchased some potassium nitrate which I was going to apply in a liquid form but I did not specify "soluable" and it came in a mini-prill size for greens. I am having a difficult time getting it to completely dissove where it can be sprayed. Any tips on how to get it to break down or am just SOL. Probably can't take it back since they special ordered it for me.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plenty of agitation. I know my ammonium sulfate is not the sprayable grade used by farmers in glyphosate applications. I wish I had potassium nitrate prills rather than the powder sometimes. The prills will dissolve if slowly added to a tank 3/4 full with the agitation on. My tank has two jet agitation nozzles that are fed by the high pressure output from the pump, not the bypass from the regulator. When that is on full open, the water looks like a bad day at the beach, can't surf it, can't swim it.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 09-23-2012, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the added response I get from Potassium Nitrate. From personal experience it seems like it brings out the best of my minors. Potassium is added to many systemic pesticides to enhance up take. But I like Potassium Nite over Sulfate and other forms. I buy GREENHOUSE GRADE and it dissolves in less than a NYC second.

I agree with Green Doctor. I won't tell war stories but, lots of agitation.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I like the added response I get from Potassium Nitrate. From personal experience it seems like it brings out the best of my minors. Potassium is added to many systemic pesticides to enhance up take. But I like Potassium Nite over Sulfate and other forms. I buy GREENHOUSE GRADE and it dissolves in less than a NYC second.

It's not an added response. It's because K is only absorbed by plants in nitrate form! As well as N and P. That is the reason it seems to enhance your minors. It just helps your minors to work more efficiently.

Potassium is mostly a better carrier for insecticide molecules to release off of. It's better than clay or sand. Potassium floor sweepings from potassium processing is cheap. These two reasons are why we have 0-0-7's & 0-0-8"s for insecticides.

Duh! So does turf. Again....potassium nitrate is the only form turfgrass can absorb and eat K!

NYC minute!

I could dog on many things you say as you do me...but I won't.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

K can only be taken up as KNO3? I'm not so sure. I think that would be news to a lot of plant physiologists.

Back to the topic, has anyone tried hot water slurries? When melting priled fertilizer, I'll often grind the fert into small particles, then put some (how much depends on the solubility number on the bag) in a 5 gal bucket, add some hot water, then mix with a drill and paint mixing attachment.

I can do this while the tank is filling. I add the slurry when the tank if half full and agitate as the tank continues to fill. Works great and doesn't add any time to tank fill.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
K can only be taken up as KNO3? I'm not so sure. I think that would be news to a lot of plant physiologists.

Back to the topic, has anyone tried hot water slurries? When melting priled fertilizer, I'll often grind the fert into small particles, then put some (how much depends on the solubility number on the bag) in a 5 gal bucket, add some hot water, then mix with a drill and paint mixing attachment.

I can do this while the tank is filling. I add the slurry when the tank if half full and agitate as the tank continues to fill. Works great and doesn't add any time to tank fill.

What can I say??? That is turfmd101 True Green, Lesco training at work.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Yea, I meant to specify the greenhouse grade. How much was the last 50 lb bag you purchased? I was told one price and then when it came in it was $20 more. I almost passed out.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

What can I say??? That is turfmd101 True Green, Lesco training at work.

Sorry. Neither of these TRAINED me...I'm field taught.

Advantages of nitrate over ammonium-containing fertilisers ;

Mobile in the soil - direct uptake by the plant, highest efficiency.

Nitrates synergistically promote the uptake of cations, such as K, Ca and Mg, while ammonium competes for the uptake with these cations.

Nitrates can be readily absorbed by the plant and do not need to undergo any further conversion, as is the case with urea and ammonium, before plant uptake.

Nitrates limit the uptake of harmful elements, such as chloride, into large quantities.

The three main sources of nitrogen, used in agriculture are urea, ammonium and nitrate. The biological oxidation of ammonia to nitrate is known as nitrification. This process consists of various steps and is mediated by autotrophic, obligately aerobic bacteria. In waterlogged soils the oxidation of NH4+ is thus restricted. Urea is decomposed by the enzyme urease or chemically hydrolyzed into ammonia and CO2. In the ammonification step, ammonia is converted by ammonium-oxidizing bacteria into ammonium. In a next step, ammonium is converted by nitrifying bacteria into nitrate (nitrification).

P & K follow suit. You say this is wrong because?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post

Stop sounding like a book! OK, your right. In a book or study somewhere it says that K is absorbed other ways...in some other forms, but also that nothing can satisfy hunger like nitrate form...or work as quickly...hands down!

There is only one REAL way to be able to eat...That is to be able to eat all the food that's been given to you so you can satisfy your hunger. Not to be given little bites and hoping to satisfy your hunger before the environment causes depletion of this food!!!

I'm sure you can find a study that says you can eat small little portions all throughout the day if you are hungry. I just think most would agree eating till your full is the only real way to eat.

You need to understand my meaning of "CAN ONLY BE TAKEN UP". Look at the reality of sufficient uptake before just stating what you READ!!!!
What would you rather have a nibble or a meal...or is a nibble just as good for you because a book says so!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Yea, I meant to specify the greenhouse grade. How much was the last 50 lb bag you purchased? I was told one price and then when it came in it was $20 more. I almost passed out.
My Price sheet shows both Prill and Greenhouse grade costing $ 32.00 a 50 lb bag. This is the 13.75-0-46 guarantee blend. sometimes my supplier sends me 13-0-44 which is pretty much the same thing only from a different manufacture. But the real cost is shipping since it is a product of Israel.

The produce I can't find in Florida is Granular spreadable Urea 46-0-0. I want it more for pastures than fine lawns.