Register free!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Arkansas pesticide test

I am getting ready to take my class 4 exam in February. I already have my packet from the plant board. What I am looking for is more advice and more study materials such as books and other things. Any help would be majorly appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The study materials will allow you to pass the test but will not teach you what you need to do in the real world. It would be best to work with someone experienced but that is not allways possible. Read on this site as much as possible. I did my own yard and parents in the learning stages. Don't go out and do clients lawns until you are sure of what you are doing.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the reply, I don't plan on starting with out plenty of practice. As a matter of fact everybody I've talked to says to do more than just pass the test. I was just wondering if there were more books and such.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Look for the book, "Applying Pesticides Correctly". A good book on spraying, calibration, safety and calculations. Also, try to find good info on southern weed ID. Weed ID is the first step in knowing what to use to control your target weeds. Suppliers are a good resource for pamphlets and weed posters Won't be much(if any) weed ID on the test but very necessary to do your job well. Sorry, I can't help you more with the test these days. I got my license 20 yrs ago so I'm sure content has changed. Good Luck.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 09-22-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank I will defiantly check that book out.. I'm taking a couple of courses in turf grass management which should help out a lot too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Irrisoluntions,
I was hesitant in answering you question at first. It has been quite a few years since I sat in on the EPA and core Exams.
I also agree that the Arkansas Petsticide and herbicide exams is pretty basic and covers just a smudge of what is needed to know out here. I, for one, learned the hard way in spraying customers lawns. Luckily, I didn't roast or toast any lawns with preemerge herbs or postemerge apps either. If anything, I didn't apply enough to do much harm.
There is a lot to consider and learn to ask questions to suppliers as they are just money bobbers. Read as much into other publications on the web and check out our U of A Turf web site. There is some good articles in there and you can go back into the past lectures and findings from professor's.
For what it is worth, stop by and talk to your area's superintendents at the golf course. I know what they are using on the green's isn't what you will use residential or commercial as bent grass isn't proliferate. What these guys is doing to the fairways and roughs is beneficial. They will use the same stuff as we on these areas, so ask questions.
The U of A has great professional staffers and will return calls on questions. Check out your State Extension system up there also.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for all your informations and suggestions! Yea i am a turf grass management minor, so the class corresponds with some of the readings which help a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is a good idea by TG, working with a super at a golf course. Volunteer to help him with applying for free. They may not feel you are competing with him and may welcome the free help.

Since you are in Fayetteville maybe the college has some courses you can take? My son goes to college at the U of A for what it's worth.