Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

To Encore Owners: Are you Satisfied?

Buying my first large commercial walk behind for my lawn care business and I've narrowed the choice down to the Exmark Metro or the Encore. I want to hear from those LCOs who've run the walk behinds and get your thoughts about durability and cut quality.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Considering they no longer are in business i wouldn't be buying an encore unless you can wrench. Exmark walks are good, over priced as chit but good. I wouldn't buy either, look are Snapper Pro, Bobcat, Scag, Ferris.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 09-18-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They are both decent but I would get the Exmark as it will throw the grass better and has better handles. The pistol grips are a pain on the Encore and get caught up in chain link fences if you turn too sharply. Exmark have the best handles on walk behinds imo. And maybe look at a floating deck Exmark instead of a fixed deck. I don't like changing heights on fixed decks and getting my hands all greasy. Exmark cut quality can not be matched by an Encore either..
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
Considering they no longer are in business i wouldn't be buying an encore unless you can wrench. Exmark walks are good, over priced as chit but good. I wouldn't buy either, look are Snapper Pro, Bobcat, Scag, Ferris.
Encore is in-fact alive. They were bought out by a Chinese company, (Worldlawn) about a year and a half ago.

Q
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanderson79 View Post
Buying my first large commercial walk behind for my lawn care business and I've narrowed the choice down to the Exmark Metro or the Encore. I want to hear from those LCOs who've run the walk behinds and get your thoughts about durability and cut quality.
If this is going to be your primary big machine, stick with the eXmark. They are proven reliable. If they do go down, eXmark does a GREAT job of making replacement parts available quickly.

Q
Old 09-18-2012, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

#1 reason not to buy Encore bought out by CHINESE, Look at a Hustler Trimstar also you can get a 48" Trimstar Hydro Floating deck for around $5000.00, But you cant go wrong with Exmark
Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Id say exmark as well just for the handles/controls, most other walk behinds fatigue your hands on medium to large lawns.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
Encore is still in business.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Encores for years. Their walkbehinds are just as good, if not better built, than anything out there. As for their riders, sub par.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used Ferris, Exmark, and am still running an older Encore. All were older. Like the Encore the best. Don't know about the product or the company now though and it would be a big maybe on buying a new one with the changes. I to like the Hustler Trim Star on paper. Gravely is making a competitive unit as well.