Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-23-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsedge View Post
Few things here.

First stop blaming the EPA. They are keeping us and our future generations much healthier through their regulations. You cant really tell me that you feel using a beast of a two stroke trimmer is more important than keeping your daughter cancer free. Educate yourselves...

Blame the equipment manufacturers. They are the ones that are keeping their profits high by using old dirty tech instead of putting $$$ into their R&D departments to find a cleaner more powerful technology. Have you looked at the auto industry over the past 10 years? The ford Mustang has gone from a 260 horsepower/20 mpg sports car to a 420hp/24mpg sports car... WTF??? Technology, get over the old ways!

Here's a cocaine addict explaining the throttle difference between a Stihl 2 stroke (fs250)and a 4mix (fs130). He killed a rabbit with a stick he launched with his 4mix it has so much torque and cuts snakes in halve with his 2 strokes... dudes a pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noG46...eature=related

Also a 4 mix is a 4 stroke, there are 4 distinct and separate actions the engine takes to make power. Intake/power stroke/combustion/exhaust.

Will you folks not calling the 4mix a 4 stroke be saying diesels arent an internal combustion engine because there are no spark plugs? Educate yourselves!
Old 09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I really don't want to derail this thread so perhaps ill start a discussion about the EPA in the proper arena. There just seems to be either vast amounts of ignorance on the subject or just plain and simple greed/self centered thinking when it comes to the EPA imo.

So my apologies to the OP.

I have never owned/operated a stihl 4mix/ryobi c4 (though I would think the ryobi would be as much a piece of junk as all of their Walmart/hd/lowes trimmers I do repairs on quite regularly after one season of use!) but most people seem to dig them.

I currently use a John Deere/home light s1400 and have been for the past 7-8 years with no issues othe than smokeyness during warmup, the things actually a beast! But after the Deere gets poached ill be getting either a Honda hht25slta or hht35slta. I'm certian the 25 would do everything I threw at it and then some but owning the big dog version (doesn't really matter what the subject is, just the top line of whatever) for ~$30 more is hard to pass on! They do weigh a bit though (25 is 13lb and 35 is 14.8).

I'm talking all 4 cycles now, not just Honda.

The extra weight and oil changing seem to be the only drawbacks of a true 4 cycle machine. Now lets look at the benefits. Much lower (its not even compatible really) emissions, better (again I've read some folks reporting 2-3 times less fuel usage), much quieter operation, less vibration, longer life span due to lower rpm's needed to extract the power from the tiny engines and a much better lubrication layout/system and last but not least is the massive torque advantage over two strokes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsedge View Post
I really don't want to derail this thread so perhaps ill start a discussion about the EPA in the proper arena. There just seems to be either vast amounts of ignorance on the subject or just plain and simple greed/self centered thinking when it comes to the EPA imo.

So my apologies to the OP.

I have never owned/operated a stihl 4mix/ryobi c4 (though I would think the ryobi would be as much a piece of junk as all of their Walmart/hd/lowes trimmers I do repairs on quite regularly after one season of use!) but most people seem to dig them.

I currently use a John Deere/home light s1400 and have been for the past 7-8 years with no issues othe than smokeyness during warmup, the things actually a beast! But after the Deere gets poached ill be getting either a Honda hht25slta or hht35slta. I'm certian the 25 would do everything I threw at it and then some but owning the big dog version (doesn't really matter what the subject is, just the top line of whatever) for ~$30 more is hard to pass on! They do weigh a bit though (25 is 13lb and 35 is 14.8).

I'm talking all 4 cycles now, not just Honda.

The extra weight and oil changing seem to be the only drawbacks of a true 4 cycle machine. Now lets look at the benefits. Much lower (its not even compatible really) emissions, better (again I've read some folks reporting 2-3 times less fuel usage), much quieter operation, less vibration, longer life span due to lower rpm's needed to extract the power from the tiny engines and a much better lubrication layout/system and last but not least is the massive torque advantage over two strokes.
Posted via Mobile Device
A 4 mix is still a "true four cycle", if not, please name the cycle it lacks.

And even though a 4mix still burns oil, it still burns 1/2 as much as a two stroke. You also have wasted unburned fuel that exits exhaust on a 2 stroke due to its inefficiencies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
A 4 mix is still a "true four cycle", if not, please name the cycle it lacks.

And even though a 4mix still burns oil, it still burns 1/2 as much as a two stroke. You also have wasted unburned fuel that exits exhaust on a 2 stroke due to its inefficiencies.
Posted via Mobile Device
I completely agree with you. I'm not sure if your agreeing with me or not since you quoted my post and then said what I did in my post before the one you quoted?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

EPA is wasting its time with these little 2 stroke engines. The amount of emissions coming from commercial and commuter planes(being released directly into the atmosphere), as well as larger trucks is so large compared to lawn equipment is astronomical. I know all engines should be regulated in some way but at this point their time and money should be spent on other problems.

How heavy are the 4 mix trimmers compared to 2 strokes? I've held a Honda 4 stroke recently and it was ridiculously heavy compared to my current trimmers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Using mine today, as far as I can tell, the power band is pretty consistent in my opinion.

Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangl3 View Post
EPA is wasting its time with these little 2 stroke engines. The amount of emissions coming from commercial and commuter planes(being released directly into the atmosphere), as well as larger trucks is so large compared to lawn equipment is astronomical. I know all engines should be regulated in some way but at this point their time and money should be spent on other problems.

How heavy are the 4 mix trimmers compared to 2 strokes? I've held a Honda 4 stroke recently and it was ridiculously heavy compared to my current trimmers
Posted via Mobile Device
I use 130's not the lightest but they are very powerful.
Posted via Mobile Device