Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

coil cable locks(idea) need a little help

I just bought a bunch of them, you can buy them at home depot etc.. 3 for like $16 with two keys per lock so 3 locks and 6 keys for $16. All the keys are the same so you have lots of extra keys. Also you put them on several key chains. My thoughts are these would keep someone from just taking hand held equip because they would have to at least have bolt cutters or something to break through the lock. I was thinking about using these on a mower but where could I loop them through on a mower other than the handle. Yes this seems paranoid, but seeing all these threads about getting stuff getting stolen is making me want to do something.

Skip to here for main question>
Where can I loop a cable lock through on a mower other than the handle because it is removable.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a long cable we run through our equipment. It is on it all the time, whether the trailer is sitting for lunch or we are at a house mowing, it's always on and locked. It is locked to the front of the trailer, then goes through the two gas cans, trimmer, blower, trim mower and then is locked again at the back of the trailer. If we need a gas can we unlock the front, the blower we unlock the back.
We are a much smaller operation than most on here, our trailer has a Honda Commercial push, Stihl Kombi trimmer, Stihl blower and two gas cans. The John Deere stand-on is not locked up.
The trailer sits in a locked garage overnight.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought about the long cable idea but with the way my rig is set up the hand helds are usually in the bed of the truck so I needed seperate locks. more or less I plan on running my lock through the handels of the handhelds unless I find a better way. I just dont know about the mowers other than the handels all I couuld think would be like through where the mulch plug would be.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

A closed truck or van is your best bet. Trailers are a pain in the back side.. that said I have a few and every year we get gear stolen off them. Trucks are the future for us.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlawn View Post
I just bought a bunch of them, you can buy them at home depot etc.. 3 for like $16 with two keys per lock so 3 locks and 6 keys for $16. All the keys are the same so you have lots of extra keys. Also you put them on several key chains. My thoughts are these would keep someone from just taking hand held equip because they would have to at least have bolt cutters or something to break through the lock. I was thinking about using these on a mower but where could I loop them through on a mower other than the handle. Yes this seems paranoid, but seeing all these threads about getting stuff getting stolen is making me want to do something.

Where can I loop a cable lock through on a mower other than the handle because it is removable.
there i a handle on the actual deck that you could look it through but i only have that handle on floating decks
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
It would help if you told us what kind of mower you have. I was picturing 21" & read a post by someone suggesting putting it through handle on floating deck. All mowers are different.

I run cable through frame of Toro Proline 44" (my floating deck does not have handles), then in the discharge on side of 21" deck & out the bagging hole on rear of deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Pictures Help!!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I don't know, I haven't tried, but I do know that the local Home Depot keeps their mowers out front during the day, and loops a cable through all of them. Maybe you could take a look to see how they do it.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

simply weld on a small piece of a bent steal rod. As simple as a short piece of rebar bent in a U shape welded to the deck will work.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device